PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension 3000 LCD screen stuck at 640x480

cvevans
06-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Dell 1907fp LCD works fine in Windows,
Knoppix 4.0.2 lists modes up to 1152 on bootup, but desktop is
640x480, can't be changed (and can't be used! buttons off the screen)
correct 1280x1024 is NOT listed on bootup.

rwcitek
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello, cvevans,

Dell 1907fp LCD works fine in Windows,
Knoppix 4.0.2 lists modes up to 1152 on bootup, but desktop is
640x480, can't be changed (and can't be used! buttons off the screen)
correct 1280x1024 is NOT listed on bootup.

Some questions:
- Have you looked at the Kernels (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Kernels) section of the Cheatcodes page? In particular, see the fb1280x1024. Also have a look at the Tips&Tricks (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Tips.26Tricks) section of the Cheatcodes page.
- If yes, what boot options did you try?
- Are you getting any error messages and, if yes, what exactly do they say?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

cvevans
06-14-2006, 05:29 AM
error message was mode not available; pick a mode
I picked 80x50 VGA.

Thanks for the reply; the CPU is not currently available to try
fb1280x1024.

ckamin
06-14-2006, 05:51 AM
cvevans:

Other than the good advice rwcitek gave previously, here is my 3 cents worth:

What Video GPU is in the system? Is it an Intel Integrated Video Adaptor? If so, look for the cheatcodes relating to xmodule=i810 or something similar to match your gpu. It may not be an issue with the LCD, but might be with the Graphics adaptor in the PC itself. You might also need to increase the share of video memory in the bios if available, if it uses system memory to share for video. Insufficient video memory and an integrated video gpu are usually rather troublesome. You also might want to try a different desktop like icewm or fluxbox. There are cheatcodes to enable other desktops than KDE. Low end Dells are sometimes troublesome in these regards. Even their high end units give me a rash on occasion.

rvijay
09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Having a similar issue with Dell Dimension 1100

Thanks for starting this thread.

rvijay
09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
I noticed carefully again when Knoppix was loading. The Video and sound card are detected, I used different cheat codes and tried to change resolution etc., Also read the XF86Config file. What I have is a low end monitor with a low end Video Card. This Video Card is unable to handle the Sync. Rates of my monitor and hence the issue. If I try to force anymore, appears that I might damage the hardware.

Also tried, expert mode bootup. When I tried Soundconfig, it said I need to use a Kernel that supports Sound. Smile)

When it comes to hardware, Linux is demanding and having real low end hardware seems to be a real limitation. I expected today's hardware to be much better than yesterday's hardware, however this seems to be true just for Processors. For the rest, low end, always seems to be low end. Quite an interesting experience indeed and a lot to reflect about.

Vijay