PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix and I want to Install

Mankal
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty new to knoppix, I have Knoppix 4.0, and I'm wanting to install it on my IBM Thinkpad 600E. It doesn't have any problems with drivers or anything like that but what I'm having trouble with is the installation. I have Windows 2000 installed but from what I'm reading I need to use Terminal commands to format. I don't know any Terminal commands and what I've found hasn't helped much so can anyone point me to any good tutorials explaining the Terminal and commands and how to format a hard drive and install.

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Don't do it, it's an awful mistake. That version of Knoppix was not intended to be installed to hard disk. There will be issues to resolve.

If you absolutely insist on installing Knoppix over a hard disk based distro like Debian (the distro that KNoppix is built on), then at least use the new 5.0.1 release of Knoppix. Klaus (the primary author) say that this version is finally ready for hard disk install. The jury may still be out (we've had the release for less than 24 hours), we just don't know yet if there will be problems, and I'm not sure there is any reason to install a Live CD rather than a hard disk based distro, but if you think that you have to go this route at least don't do it with one that the author says was a version before he stated that Knoppix was suitable for hard disk install.

knoppixknut
06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I have installed knoppix using several methods,and every time is a winner. There was a little rooting around to fix slight issues but I would hardly call myself a linux guru. :?

I used persistant home, PMI, dual boot and HD install onto an old laptop (64MB ram 4g hd). If you prepared to get down and dirty with the OS why would'nt installing be a good idea?

I can appreciate that the whole point to knoppix, and a good point it is too, is to run from a live CD, but I think I am right in saying that Linux in general can be booted from any partition, slave/master hd and temp hd(usb)?

So to question what undoubtly has been questioned before :oops:

Harry Kuhman
06-06-2006, 07:31 PM
but I think I am right in saying that Linux in general can be booted from any partition, slave/master hd and temp hd(usb)?
Oh, it can be booted. But all versions before 5 (maybe before 5.0.1) are a mix of different versions of Debian, very carefully selected and tested to work together correctly (at elast from CD). But when you update anything or install any new software, this mix of different incompatable versions is known to break.

There have also been a lot of problems of the form "this worked just fine when I booted from the CD, but after installing to the hard disk it no longer works". The network connection is a common problem that this has been happening to for over three years, but there are others. These things just shouldn't happen to a beginner with a Linux install.

Klaus is now saying that 5.0.1 is the first version of Knoppix that is ready for hard disk install. I'm assuming that this means the mixed version issue has gone away, altough I have not seen him actually say that. But the statement does reinforce the wisdom of not installing older versions.

Not that from what I have seen in these forums 5.0.1 is quite ready for install. I still am seeing "it stopped working after an install" problems. So while Klause is trying to move towards a version of Knoppix that can be installed; I just don't see any reason to fight with it when Debian Etch will install cleanly and then let you install any or all of the applications included with Knoppix and many many more.