PDA

View Full Version : 5.0.1 Does not find my router or DSL modem.

stanmc
06-05-2006, 01:22 AM
I downloaded both the DVD of 5.0.1 (2 June) and the CD of 5.0.1 (3 June) and booted from each of them on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo as well as my Asrock 939 Dual Sata2. Everything came up as expected until I opened Firefox. The program could not find the net. I have an SMC7004ABR Barricade router and Speedstream DSL Modem. The systems are connected through the respective onboard ethernet connectors to the router. When I run ipconfig I get what looks like the correct information. It looks as if it matches the information I get from version 3.9 after running ipconfig. When I'm running Knoppix 3.9 it can connect to the internet and let me surf the web. All previous versions back to 3.7 just recognized the router and dsl modem and let firefox/mozilla get onto the net. Where do I begin to diagnose this? I've never had to do this before on Knoppix.

Harry Kuhman
06-05-2006, 01:44 AM
5.0.1 handshakes with my router just fine. You at least did post good information on the router, many people don't ealize that this is often important. even have a SMC7004 aound here (it does have different letters at the end, the package says it is a SMC7004VWBR), I may even try hooking it back up and proving that it works with Knoppix in the next few days (it will not be tonight though). But I doubt that the router is the issue, although I don't know what is.

Things that you can do:

Try running netcardconfig, saying yes to the dhcp question, and see if anything interesting prints out.

You say that the IP setup seems correct. So open a command shell and try to ping an IP address on the Internet (this site is 72.36.188.40). Then try to ping the same site by URL as in "ping knoppix.net". If it is a DNS issue the IP ping will work and the URL ping will fail.

If the IP ping fails, see if tou can at least ping the router (normally at 192.168.xxx.1, I forget off hand which value Dlink uses for XXX but you likely know it, otherwise try 0,1,or 2).

I assume that you are posting to this forum through the same router and likely the same computer. If using windows you might try to make sure that that you have forced Windows to give up it's DHCP lease before shutting it down. This does not seem like a likely problem to me but some users have reported needing to make sure the computer gives up the old lease before Knoppix can get a new one. I'm only passing this information on, I don't promise it's accuracy.

You are talking about running Knoppix from the optical media, are you not? All bets are off if you installed to hard disk.

Try powering down and back up the router.

If cycling power doesn't help, try resetting the router; but be very sure that you remember or still have your DSL username and password before you do, you'll have to put them back in the router.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

JohnnyH
06-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I am also having failure of 5.0.1 to connect to the Internet via cable. Circumstances:-

On first boot-up of the Live CD, the Kmenu --> System --> Info Centre shows that eth0 interface had acquired the correct IP address from my cable router via DHCP, but neither Firefox nor Konqueror could connect to the net.

I then tried running netcard config, but this failed with the following message:-

OPENQUOTE
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed.
Failed
Hit return to exit.
CLOSEQUOTE

and the eth0 status display simultaneously disappeared from Kmenu --> System --> Info Centre !

My Ethernet card is a non-exotic Compaq NC3120, supported 'out-of-the-box' by every other distribution or release that I have used.
I downloaded the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD iso image this morning, and the md5sum is correct.
I have burned the iso image to diferrent CDs, using Windows NERO and Knoppix 5.0.1 K3B in turn, and it makes no difference.

BTW I am posting this from a HD installation of Knoppix 3.7 running the good old 2.4 kernel. Having also tried Knoppix releases 3.8 3.8.1 3.9 4.0.1 4.0.2 , including my re-masterings with added/updated packages, in search of additional functionality, I have always had to come back to 3.7 which just works for me. But I live in hope...

stanmc
06-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Try running netcardconfig, saying yes to the dhcp question, and see if anything interesting prints out.

I assume that you are posting to this forum through the same router and likely the same computer. If using windows you might try to make sure that that you have forced Windows to give up it's DHCP lease before shutting it down. This does not seem like a likely problem to me but some users have reported needing to make sure the computer gives up the old lease before Knoppix can get a new one. I'm only passing this information on, I don't promise it's accuracy.

You are talking about running Knoppix from the optical media, are you not? All bets are off if you installed to hard disk.

Try powering down and back up the router.

If cycling power doesn't help, try resetting the router; but be very sure that you remember or still have your DSL username and password before you do, you'll have to put them back in the router.[/list]
Please keep us informed of your progress.
Harry, thanks for the timely response. I rebooted the computer with the 5.0.1 DVD using the ASRock computer and I got the following responses to Kmenu/Control Center/checked the plus on Internet Networking/selected Network Settings. On the Network Interfaces Tab I found Interface = eth0/IPAddress = 192.168.2.xx(number obscured by me)/Protocol = dhcp/State = red X & Disabled/Comment = Ethernet Network Device. I ran netcardconfig answering yes to DHCP and got nothing this time. The address of the computer under Knoppix and FC5 is the same 19.168.2.xx.

edit with addtl comments -- I am now typing this from Firefox under Knoppix 3.9 CD. I ran ifconfig and got the correct responses using 3.9 both an eth0 and a loopback entry. Under 5.0.1 DVD I only got the loopback entry. Above I stated I got nothing when running netcardconfig with DHCP yes under5.0.1. However I did. It said OK as it does under 3.9. Guess I can stick with 4.0.2 or 3.9 for a while longer.

Harry Kuhman
06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
I found Interface = eth0/IPAddress = 192.168.2.xx(number obscured by me)
I'm not at all sure that I'm following correctly what is going on here. I'm pretty sure that if you have a 192.168 address assigned to the ethernet interface then it had to be done by the router by DHCP (assuming you did not do it manually). And there is absolutely no reason to "obscure" that address, as it is a private NAT address and can not be reached by any computer on the Internet. (I'm not a big believer is there being any reason to obscure the public IP address either, as you broadcast that all over the Internet, but there is no reason in the world to hide the private IP address behind your NAT router. Mine is 192.168.0.100 by the way, as is that of hundreds of thousands of other users behind NAT routers. No one can reach me by that address unless they are on my own network (and if they are, there are plenty of ways to find my local IP address).

So I think your router is setting up the computer OK, but I don't have all of the details and can't know that all settings are right. Could you have a DNS problem? Can you ping a site on the Internet by it's IP address but not by it's DNS name (URL)? I'm really not following what is wrong here.

Obviously all computers on the network need their own unique IP addresses. They have to be in the range of the network mask, and the first and last addresses in that range are reserved. Be sure that you do not have any settings turned on in your router that limit access by MAC address or by time of day or other "security" measures that might be fighting you. We have seen the MAC address thing be an issue in the past.

stanmc
06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I found Interface = eth0/IPAddress = 192.168.2.xx(number obscured by me)
I'm not at all sure that I'm following correctly what is going on here. I'm pretty sure that if you have a 192.168 address assigned to the ethernet interface then it had to be done by the router by DHCP (assuming you did not do it manually). And there is absolutely no reason to "obscure" that address, as it is a private NAT address and can not be reached by any computer on the Internet. (I'm not a big believer is there being any reason to obscure the public IP address either, as you broadcast that all over the Internet, but there is no reason in the world to hide the private IP address behind your NAT router. Mine is 192.168.0.100 by the way, as is that of hundreds of thousands of other users behind NAT routers. No one can reach me by that address unless they are on my own network (and if they are, there are plenty of ways to find my local IP address).

So I think your router is setting up the computer OK, but I don't have all of the details and can't know that all settings are right. Could you have a DNS problem? Can you ping a site on the Internet by it's IP address but not by it's DNS name (URL)? I'm really not following what is wrong here.

Obviously all computers on the network need their own unique IP addresses. They have to be in the range of the network mask, and the first and last addresses in that range are reserved. Be sure that you do not have any settings turned on in your router that limit access by MAC address or by time of day or other "security" measures that might be fighting you. We have seen the MAC address thing be an issue in the past.

Thanks again for the timely response. I'm now a little better informed about NAT addresses. You didn't comment on the one thing that really bothered me in my second post which was that the card or eth0 was marked as disabled. I have an onboard ethernet port which is disabled in the BIOS since it didn't function when I installed FC4. I installed a PCI card which I think is a d-link 503 (can't find the box). I suppose, that since it is marked as disabled, that is why when I type ifconfig I only get the lo info and not the eth0 info. When I do this in FC5 I get info for both eth0 and lo.

Harry Kuhman
06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
.... You didn't comment on the one thing that really bothered me in my second post which was that the card or eth0 was marked as disabled. I have an onboard ethernet port which is disabled in the BIOS since it didn't function when I installed FC4. I installed a PCI card which I think is a d-link 503 (can't find the box). I suppose, that since it is marked as disabled, that is why when I type ifconfig I only get the lo info and not the eth0 info. When I do this in FC5 I get info for both eth0 and lo.
I'm not at all clear on what is really happening here. If you have a PCI card NIC installed then you should certainly have an ethx showing up. It might be sth1 if Knoppix somehow still knows about sth0 even though it is "disabled", it might be eth0 if Knoppix is now ignoring the on-board NIC. But the lo should only be the local loopback port, not any use for talking to the rest of the world. But your indication that you got a 192.168.2.xxx address set up for you makes me believe that Knoppix is indeed seeing an ethernet port. Beyaon that I don't really understand what is happening in your case.

stanmc
06-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your help on this Harry. I cannot get 5.0.1 to return consistent results on the one computer that sometimes brings up eth0. I can ping with this computer, but it does not return results in the browser. Knoppix 5.0.1 does not work on any of the other three because it returns only lo and not eth0 on ifconfig on these. Knoppix 4.0.2 can work with three of them consistently, just not the one using a USB ethernet adapter. This was prepared using my oldest computer an Intel Mendocino 367MHz using Knoppix 4.0.2. I think this would best be closed and I will wait for 5.0.2.

mandojim
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I found that for Knoppix 5.0.1 I had to go to open up a ROOT Shell Command Prompt

Then enter:

IFCONFIG ETH0 UP
ROUTE ADD DEFAULT GW 192.168.2.1

to be able to get my DNS working