PDA

View Full Version : ACER TravelMate 4062WLMI & Knoppix 4.0

kdeman
06-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Hello;

I have Acer TravelMate 4062WLMI, I one installed Knoppix 4.0 on my HH, but I have some problemes:

My touchpad does not work, what is that I have to install of the drivers or make the other thing?

Knoppix detects easily the modem USB and my mouse USB, but does not detect a key USB http: // www.acuista.com/images/photomedium/9349.jpg the official site of the manufacturer is: http: // www.freecom.com / that to make in that case there?

And with Kde, I have no level of battery which displays

Finally my sound card does not also work because I have no sound on my laptop, and when I make sndconfig, that gives me no detected card, but all the same I can increase the volume on the systéme, I do not know if that is normal or not, because with Windows when there is no sound card, the volume and all the sounds sound deactivated,

My sound card is Creative sound Blaster pro, which must be normally recognized by Linux as I read on internet

Please please help me to resolve these problémes

Thank you in advance

ckamin
06-05-2006, 05:30 AM
The key words here are Version 4 and Installed. Knoppix version 4.0 is meant to be used as a "Live" disk and not intended for HDD Installs. There are certainly people who do it, but the odds are you will encounter numerous issues and you would be much better served installing Debian or some other distro intended for HDD install. Even Kanotix might work better as an installed distro. It is claimed that the new version 5.0.2 will be a better install, but I have not tried it personally and will wait to see how others fare before trying it myself. Laptops are especially troublesome with Live disks, and even more troublesome with an install.

kdeman
06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe what you say is true, but I must specify that the sound and all the other things which did not work after the installation on HH, did not work when I use the live DVD without installattion, it is for that I installed it on HH while hope that it will be ok
Evene if I am newbie in linux, but I will not drop, because if the Knoppix's devloppors think in the same ways, knoppix would not be to arrive here

You who know all the distributions well, say me which will be the distribution ideal for me which uses Internet and a laptop for the computer graphics and the designe

Thank you in advance

Harry Kuhman
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
knoppix would not be to arrive here
If you want an installed system then I suggest that you install a system that is intended for hard disk such as Debian. Knoppix 4.x is said by the developer, Klaus, to not ne intended for hard disk and there are known problems that happen with a hard disk install. Klaus is now saying that 5.0.1 is the first Knoppix version that is suitable for hard disk install. This reinforces all of the advice that prior versions should not be installed, but there still seem to be many reports of problems for people who have tried to install 5.0.1 in the last few days since it came out.

Not that a Debian install will solve all of your problems. You might still have to do some work to get the sound card working. I have not yet managed to get a sound card working on my testbed Debian install, and it is an extremely common ISA SoundBlaster 16. I expect that I could pit a cheap PCI card that I have available in there and it would work, but I don't want to change the hardware configuration, both because I want to find out how to et the ISA card working and because I have other OSs on the ssytem and they all expect the SB16 to be there and work fine with it. One problem seems to be an assortment of tools and mixers for different GUIs, but this is not the only problem. But when and if you do resolve your problem you will likely avoid all of the other problems seen in a Knoppix 4.x install, including everything breaking when you install or update any software.

If you have a mental block against installing a Linux system intended for hard disk and insist on installing a Live CD, then I would suggest that you at least install a Live CD that does detect and operate your sound card properly (why else use a Live CD if it isn't for the hardware detection?). And some other Live CDs are much more suitable for hard disk install that Knoppix.

As to the quote above, one wonders where "here" is. Both of your posts showed a speech pattern that suggest that English isn't your first language. But your first post was from an IP in the United States. Your second post was from an IP in Morocco.

kdeman
06-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi again;

first, thank you very much Harry for your answer, it's good explain, and i think i'll say bye to Knoppix and i'll install suse 10.1.

According to my searchs on internet suse seems the distribution ideal for my case, because it is completed on laptops.

As to the quote above, one wonders where "here" is. Both of your posts showed a speech pattern that suggest that English isn't your first language. But your first post was from an IP in the United States. Your second post was from an IP in Morocco.

Effectively English is not my first language, and lets me say that you are very intelligent, for the ip I would explain you it by private message if you agree . :?: :?: :idea: :?: :!:

thotypous
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
The problem is not the distribution, nor detection. I have exactly the same notebook. It has a very bugged BIOS. :)

The sound is correctly detected by any modern distribution, it is a Intel HDA. The problem is that this sound chipset has mixer controls setuped via software. So, the BIOS should correctly inform the operating system the default mixer controls, with its internal pin linkages to speakers, microphone plugs, etc. The problem is that the Acer BIOS inform wrong linkages :shock: For fixing this, ALSA provides a mechanism called "Pin models". At this time, only the CVS version has the "pin model" for Acer notebooks.

For the battery display, the problem is the ACPI DSDT. It is like a program written somewhere in your hardware that the operating system reads, interprets, and uses to interface with the hardware via ACPI. The problem is that Acer's DSDT was compiled with the Microsoft DSDT compiler, which compiles it even with some programmation errors, that only Windows will know how to resolve at runtime. The solution is to fix the DSDT code, recompile with the Intel DSDT compiler (the official compiler, as Intel has made the ACPI standard), and patch your kernel to use it instead of getting the DSDT from the hardware.

I don't know any distribution that will do this automatically for you. I don't know how the problem with the sound could be detected automatticaly, and the problem with the DSDT would require modern approaches to be detected.

So, please, choose the distribution that makes you fell more confortable in means of modifying it, and let's fix it manually. I have made a HOWTO for installing this notebook with Gentoo: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_the_Acer_TravelMate_4062_W LMi_Notebook .

It can be adapted for any distribution you like. :wink:

But, please, don't use SuSE. It is the worse choose you can ever make. SuSE is the most anti-flexible distribution I have ever seen. I don't recommend anything based on RedHat, too. :P