PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: HD Knoppix Install --> Debian Unstable Instal

rossi
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello:

I need help in getting from a successful Knoppix hard drive install to a debian unstable install.

Here's what I am doing using using an IBM ThinkPad Model T23:

1) Boot knoppix 5.01 CD and as root issue the command knoppix installer

2) By-the-way, the 5.01 CD doesn't give parted or anything like what is in the documentation. It gives some curt process with very little explanation. Anyway I managed to get a nice, nifty istallation. The entry for eth0 wasn't in /etc/network/interfaces. After I put in the appropriate entry, everything worked ok.

3) I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file
APT::Default-Release "testing"; -------------> APT::Default-Release "unstable";

4) I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file by commenting out everything that was NOT UNSTABLE.
This was confusing because there was confusing because there are many, many entries in which I didn't know what to do ... e.g the KDE entries and others as well.

5) I tried the command: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
This didn't work because some files couldn't be found, and other errors also occurred which I forget.

6) I tried only the command apt-get dist upgrade and that "worked" i.e. it did install a lot of packages that took a lot of time.
In the end, the desktop was corrupted.

Is there a good set of instructions on how to do this? There is always a problem at the point of trying to upgrade to debian unstable. What is a good way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Angelo

drb
06-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Kanotix is based on debian unstable, easy to test with LiveCD mode to see if it finds all your hardware etc., then a nice GUI to install on HD. There is also documentation to go along with the installation GUI. Options for separate home partition. I have had it installed in 30 minutes including HD partitioning. Installed for 5 months with no breaks and (almost) daily dist-upgrades.