PDA

View Full Version : Can not eject CD on shutdown using 2.6.16 kernel

idol007
06-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi all...need some help/advice...

I built a Knoppix-based (4.0.2) CD that uses the 2.6.16 kernel. After some trial and error, I finally found cloop and unionfs versions that build successfully for this kernel:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cloop/cloop_2.02.1+eb.10.tar.gz
ftp://unionfs-mirror.linux-live.org/unionfs/snapshots/unionfs-20060503-0408.tar.gz

The CD boots and runs fine. The problem is when I shutdown, I get a bunch of error msgs (No space left on Device) at the point in knoppix-halt where it copies files from /KNOPPIX/dev/ to /dev. The rest of that script consequently fails, the filesystem fails to unmount, and the CDROM does not eject. There's a good chance, the unstable version(s) of cloop/unionfs I used contributed to this problem. But, I still would appreciate a detailed explanation of why this error occurs, since I am still not terribly familiar with the inner workings. Basically, I just need to make sure that I can unmount partitions on other disks, eject the Knoppix CD, and power down. If anyone has successfully built an image using the 2.6.16 kernel, I would appreciate your input on how you did it (which cloop/unionfs you used, etc.). Thanks for any input y'all :D