PDA

View Full Version : XP and Knoppix work independently on the same physical drive

Yizhar
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm using Knoppix through VMware, hosted by Windows XP (like a CD which copied into the Hard Disk).

Knoppix seems to work fine, but I can't access my Windows logical Hard Drives. Although it may sounds like a frquent asked question to you, it isn't:

I had 11 GB hard disk in my laptop, all previously been NTFS one logical C drive dedicated to XP. I'd resized this partition to left 1GB for Knoppix, formatted it to FAT32, willing to use it as a SWAP memory (I have only 128MB RAM) and as a shared directory with Windows in order to transfer files between XP to Knoppix.

Althoug the first goal has been accomplished (Knoppix had created a swap file in my spare 1GB FAT32 partition), the second goal is frustrating me over three days (which I used to search this forum mostly..):

It seems that windows XP can delete and create partitions in the same 1GB withought affecting Knoppix file system in the same location - and Knoppix can create and destroy partitions over the same 1GB without affecting the XP filesystem there!

When I create a directory in Knoppix and in XP in the same 1GB location, they won't reflect in the other OS, and when I destroy partitions in one OS - it doesn't destroy anything in the other OS!

Can someone explain it to me please? all I want is Knoppix to see the same WinXP partitions in the 1GB, and it doesn't recognize them (/proc/partitions) but can create there partitions independently.

Best Regards,

- Yizhar.

Harry Kuhman
06-09-2006, 02:04 PM
...Knoppix seems to work fine, but I can't access my Windows logical Hard Drives. ....
I think this is exactly what Vmware is designed to do. It provides a virtual machine, one that can not access the rest of the real machine that it is hosted on. If there is an solution to your "problem" it will likely have to come from a forum that supports Vmware, not one that focuses on Knoppix.

Yizhar
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, Harry, I'll try to fish there (http://www.vmware.com/community/forum.jspa?forumID=123) for a while..

- Yizhar.