PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Boot

dirtk38
06-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Hello all,
I'm trying to boot the latest CD version (5.0.1) on my T43 Thinkpad. I'm not extremely experienced with Linux-- I was hoping to use Knoppix so that I could gain more experience without having to dual-boot. When trying to boot, I get a couple screens of buffer errors and then finally:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)

What should I do? I did some searching but couldn't find any working solutions.

Thanks,
Kurt

ckamin
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
The answer may come in the form of a cheatcode. I wouild start with something like "knoppix nodma", "knoppix dma", failsafe, noacpi, etc. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and scroll down for "cheat codes". Read through it and you may fine the answer there. The other issue may be in the way the ISO file was downloaded and burned to CD. Read through the Downloading FAQ's here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

dangerboy
08-27-2006, 04:23 AM
... just thought this might help someone.

I tried the CD version of 5.0.1 in order to upgrade a harddrive and 'dd' the contents from one drive to the next. When I tried to boot into Knoppix though, I encountered the same error that dirtk38 posted. I tried most of the cheatcodes, but could only get a *very* stripped setup to run. I finally got it running by downgrading to 4.0.2 which turned out to work fully on my machine. Who knows, maybe it was a corrupt 5.0.1 ISO? :?

Here are the specs for the machine that had a hard time with 5.0.1:
AMD Athlon 2700+
ASUS A7V333-X MOBO
512MB RAM
Two harddrives: 80GB and 20GB
GeForce FX5200 128MB
Two NICs