PDA

View Full Version : download DVD iso file question

Merv02
06-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi

After downloading the CD iso file, burning to CD, trying out Knoppix and liking it very much, I'm trying to download and run the DVD iso file from various sites. It downloads as a 47.5MB file, but I'm trying to download the 4GB file. Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new to the Linux world. :oops:

How can I download the full 4GB DVD iso file? Thanks.

btjiii
06-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I have been trying to download the iso from various sites and it fails everytime. I think something is wrong with the iso. Never had a problem before.

Harry Kuhman
06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
It downloads as a 47.5MB file.
The iso is too large to fit on a FAT partition.

I have been trying to download the iso from various sites and it fails everytime. I think something is wrong with the iso.
See the above. And it may also be your choice of downloading tools, some tools also have the 4 gig limit problem. Use a current copy of BitTorrent as recommended.

UnderScore
06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
You are not the only ones who have this problem http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104110#104110
Your best bet is to use bittorrent. If you can't use that then try to download it with via FTP with a good ftp client. On Windows I use FileZilla.

btjiii
06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm trying it again right now. So far so good. I never had a problem downloading the file before, with previous versions. The last time I tried to download this one it got to 99% (4G) before it failed. I used the ftp client in Konquerorthe last time. And I am doing the same this time.

btjiii
06-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Well it failed again at 99%. I will try using Gozilla and see how that works.

ckamin
06-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Well it failed again at 99%. I will try using Gozilla and see how that works

Are you trying to save the file to a FAT partition? If so, there are file size limitations for that file system.

Seeing that the file fails at 99%, it looks like a 4Gig file size limitation. The ISO is just OVER 4Gig, so it will not save to a FAT partition, nor will all download clients work with such a large file. Bittorrent is the preferred method for download. See: www.bittorrent.com for more info and to download the program.

To assume that the ISO is faulty would be incorrect. I downloaded mine and have no trouble. Many other people have downloaded it and have no trouble either. It might just be the process or destination in your case. There has been good information posted for you previously and I would recommend that you not ignore it, if you want success with the download.

basqui
06-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Ei, after downloading the iso file and burned it into cd, i wasn't able to boot from it.i already change the boot priority in my bios setup.pls. help me.thanks

Harry Kuhman
06-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Ei, after downloading the iso file and burned it into cd, i wasn't able to boot from it.
See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

Merv02
06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies Harry and all. The problem was not FAT32 file size limitation as I use NTFS. The problem was with Internet Explorer version 6 I'm using.

I tried the same download using Firefox and bingo ... downloaded first time! It took 22 hours on my ADSL as an ordinary download, not using BitTorrent.

Looking forward to trying out the DVD version. Thanks again. :D

Harry Kuhman
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
It took 22 hours on my ADSL as an ordinary download, not using BitTorrent.
Glad you have it resolved, but as to the above quote, BitTprrent speeds have been much faster (and are right the first time). Lots of people get the ISO on BT faster than that; heck many even got it the first day faster than that when there were few seeders. I have a friend who downloaded the CD a few days after it came out in 22 minutes on BT (he has a very fast pipe). And BT is right the first time (assuming that you are not downloading to FAT partitions).

dvryknopper
06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
In case this helps out, I ran into trouble burning the iso file from my windows machine which is the only machine I own with a dvd burner, so if you need to burn the dvd sized iso file use Imgburn (http://www.mrbass.org/dvdburn/), it is an excellent tool for when you are trapped burning large iso files from windows :?

Harry Kuhman
06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
dvryknopper, are you talking about XP, since Win98 will not hold the Knoppix DVD ISO, or some other flavor of Windows? What other burning programs did you try and have problems with?

dvryknopper
06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I am referring to an NTFS partition Windows XP sp2 machine. I only tried one other application (freeware application) which was called ISO Recorder v 2 (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm), it had a built in file size limitation and would not complete the burn, I did some googling and found the selection of freeware iso recorder applications to be rather sparse for windows, when I did a search for "dvd iso burning applications" or something to that affect, Imgburn was one of the first results to be displayed as far as free windows dvd size iso burning programs

Harry Kuhman
06-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks. It will be good info for others to know that ISO Recorder v 2 has a size limitation that prevents burning Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD.

btjiii
06-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Here is how I was finally able to get the whole thing to work.
Thanks to all the help posted here.

- I downloaded the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD version and created the CD, tested it and put it aside
- I downloaded the Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD file with bit torrent (As mentioned before, make sure it is put on a NTFS or Linux partition)
- Rebooted the computer using the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD and burned the DVD image using K3b
Hope this helps