PDA

View Full Version : Newbie need help: Can't mount from DVD-rom after upgrade

ThE_R_o_B
06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I've done a HD-install using Knoppix 5.0.1 debian like install: After I upgraded in Synaptic package manager I had lost my DVD/cdrom icons on the desktop and when I put a form of media in the drive an icon shows up but when I click on the icon it gives me this message:
"Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"
hdc is not listed with hda(hard drive) and /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab are write protected so I'm clueless as to what to do???
I also have a problem upgrading x11-common I get :
"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin', which is also in package imaze"
and in the terminal of synaptic durring installing I get strange characters or another language???
:?:

grus
06-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi

I had the same problem, but I install all new, the Knoppix 5.01. But I think is exactly the same problem.

When I did click on partition hda1 or DVD or floppy disk icon the system show a mesagge like: "Imposible mount, not acces permited" or something like that.

Well, I do this. First, if the message say "Unautorized acces" or something like that, that means that you don't have permission to use that device. In your fstab file you can change that at fstab file. (users instruction need)

fstab file is a very important file, for that first make a backup of fstab file, and be sure to have a boot floppy disk (at install if possbile to create), only for security. But whit my steps is difficult make a mistake, but be sure..

In a root conseloe or session writte

cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

that you have a backuo of your fstab file, callend now "fstab.backup", then writte

nedit /etc/fstab &

with that instruction you go to open the file fstab whit nedit editor; of course you can use the editor that you preffer.

When the fstab file is opne, you can change some lines, but BE CAREFUL this is a very important file.

this lines that ia have in my fstab file

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
#/dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

see that on cdrom1 i put a # at the start of the line, that means that line doń t work; i didn't erase

and at the end of this file I wrote

#Added by GRUS
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/fd0 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/floppy /media/floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

of course you are interested only in CDROM and DVD lines, but I had problems with floppy, hda1.. etc... Still my hda1 don't work, but floppy and CDROM / DVD work fine

I recomend read something about fstab first, at google you can find much information, to learn what means ro, users, no auto etc ...

ro= rean only
noauto = don't mount automaticly

That work for my, I hope work for you too, but I want to insist, fstab is a very important file, create a backup.
sorry my english, i'm from Mexico

grus
06-18-2006, 03:53 PM
... Then, yesterday at the end of this post, I added 2 lines to my fstba file, and now my partition hda1 work fine. Is "read-only" but now is enough for me.

My two lines

#Lines added by GRUS
/dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,ro,auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/hda1 ntfs auto,defaults,ro,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

Perhaps an expert on Linux can say if this is correct or not. But now work.

ThE_R_o_B
06-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Didn't seem to work but thanks for the help anyways... I'm using Disks Admin to enable the DVD-rom every session as a solution... I think what I had done was overwrite the scripts durring an update. Maybe a new update will fix the problem!?

grus
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I don be sure. Sorry; i go to be very irresponsable if I answer something. Just I don't know. I not expert :)