PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Problems

ModernDayPirate
06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Problem 1: I can't install anything.
This is an example of what I get trying to install with KPackage.

</home/knoppix/Desktop/LimeWireLinux.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/bash is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
/bin/sh is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
j2re >= 1.4.1 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libX11.so.6 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libXt.so.6 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libc.so.6 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libdl.so.2 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
libpthread.so.0 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
librt.so.1 is needed by LimeWire-free-4.10.9-0.i386
RESULT=1

Problem 2: At startup, I'm told that my DMA on my harddrive is turned off, and that it will boot slowly. How do I turn the DMA on?

I may find more, but these are my main problems ATM.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MDP

ckamin
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Since you failed to mention what version of Knoppix you were trying to work with, I will assume that it might be 4.0.2. The problem with installing to a live Disk is that the disc is read-only. You simply cannot install something to a disk that cannot be written to. Since it appears that you ar trying to install a P2P file sharing program, I simply will not advise you further on that issue.

To turn on DMA simply type: "knoppix dma" at the "boot:" prompt during startup. It is called a cheatcode. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and poke around for info on cheatcodes.

If you are trying to install something to a Knoppix hard drive installation, Knoppix is generally not recommended for such an installation, although it can be done. The result would be a very buggy installation with numerous issues. 5.0.1 is supposed to be a little more install friendly, but some recent posts might convince me to the contrary.

ModernDayPirate
06-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Yes, I am running Knoppix 5.0.1 off of the hard drive. I tried to install XChat too, but that didn't work either. This is my first linux program, and I was told that it would be a good adjuster. However, I'm being led to believe the contrary. I'll probably try Kororaa next, as that's supposed to be easier, once you get it.
Thanks anyways.
MDP

Harry Kuhman
06-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Yes, I am running Knoppix 5.0.1 off of the hard drive. ...
There's your problem

This is my first linux program, and I was told that it would be a good adjuster.
Who told you that? They are not your friends. A hard disk install of Knoppix is not advised for new Linux users.

Use Knoppix as a lIve CD to get to know a little about Linux, without a need to modify your hard disk or install anything. But if you think you are ready to install Linux, use a version of Linux intended for hard disk install. One good choice, if you like Knoppix, is Debian Etch, the release that Knoppix is mostly based on. It has a clean modern installer and should get you up and working quickly with a system that is intended to be a hard disk based system.

ModernDayPirate
06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Idk, i just want a cool linux that i can learn how to code on fairly easily and actually DO something with what i learn. also, that i can put games that are meant for windows on. like, exe compatible or something. idk.

Harry Kuhman
06-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Idk, i just want a cool linux.....
OK, you don't know, no shame in that. But read and heed the warnings all over this site that Knoppix is not a good choice to install for a Linux novice. Like Knoppix? Like some of the programs that come with it? Then install the intended-for-hard-disk Linux release that Knoppix is based on, Debian. I'll make so easy that even a kid who calls himself a pirate can do it - here's a link (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/) to the net install copy of Etch. Download the i386 ISO file if you have a normal 32 bit PC. If you have a hot 64 bit system then download the ia64 ISO to get better performance from the 64 bit CPU. Burn the ISO to a CDR or CDRW. Delete your Knoppix "install" and make sure you have some empty space on the hard disk outside of any Windows partitions for Linux. Run the net-install CD and it will download everything else it needs from the Internet. If you want the Gnome GUI make sure to select the "desktop install" when the program gets around to asking you (otherwise you get a command line interface as default). I recommend starting at Gnome, but you might want to stay at the command line for a while and really learn Linux, or you might want to install KDE (the GUI Knoppix defaults to) after the install completes with the apt-get system. Once you have Debian installed, boot into it and you have Linux running. You likely will want some of the programs that Knoppix includes. These and many many others can be installed very easily using the Debain package system. Try it, you'll have better results than just typing idk.