PDA

View Full Version : Less is more

meriksen
05-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi

I am very happy with the KNOPPIX V3.2 CD. It runs perfectly on my Dell Latitude. All my periphirals (usb/pcmcia/etc) work perfectly.

What I am looking for is a light-weight version with only a browser (and possibly a mail/news reader). This would be brilliant for browsing and nosing around without having to worry too much. Sometimes one wants to visit sites without worrying about traces being left all over you hard disk/registry etc.

If this could have a kiosk mode (user locked from OS) ... it could be used at conferences as well.

Just an idea.

Thanks for great effort guys !

true1ever
05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Sounds like maybe Morphix might be what you want, there is a lightGUI version of it, much smaller than knoppix.

reub2000
05-12-2003, 11:06 PM
What I am looking for is a light-weight version with only a browser (and possibly a mail/news reader). This would be brilliant for browsing and nosing around without having to worry too much. Sometimes one wants to visit sites without worrying about traces being left all over you hard disk/registry etc.

But, I don't understand why the full one can't do that?

true1ever
05-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Knoppix doesn't write to the registry, etc, unless you specifically want it to by mounting the hard drive read-write after bootup.