PDA

View Full Version : Black screen when booting Knoppix

MasterNES
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I just downloaded the Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD, but I have had no luck in accessing the GUI. Everything seems fine during the initial booting sequence, but shortly after configuring peripherals the screen just goes blank and nothing works. Keyboard lights don't respond, the CPU light isn't busy, and the only way to get out of it is a hard boot.

When booting with "knoppix 4", I am able to access the console. However, once I try loading the GUI with startx, the screen goes black.

I am using an ATI X850 Pro on a Dell FP2001 monitor. I have tried a few other Linux distros (SuSE 10.1, Auditor Live CD, and Backtrack Live CD) which did not exhibit any display problems.

Harry Kuhman
06-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Have you tried cheat codes to force resolutions and screen refresh rates that you know are good for you (and I would say error on the conservative side here)? Maybe the hardware detection is just trying to push the displsy hardware beyond where it can go.

MasterNES
06-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes; I've tried lots of different cheatcodes and resolutions, but nothing changes. Since numlock and capslock freeze up, would this indicate an issue beyond display since the system itself is non-responsive?

Harry Kuhman
06-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Since numlock and capslock freeze up, would this indicate an issue beyond display since the system itself is non-responsive?
That sounds likely. I have no idea what the actual issue is though, would suggest trying more cheat codes or booting in expert mode and taking notes. Also try failsafe mode, not something you will likely want to run in but you might learn something about the problem in the process.