PDA

View Full Version : Firefox settings not saved in 4.0.2 persistent image(solved)

django
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I have successfully created a persistent image and a config file.
The K-Command Center options, set of storage devices, and
other such things persist, but Firefox settings do not.

I've read and followed the relevant sections in Knoppix for Dummies
and Hacking Knoppix as well as searched this forum, the Knoppix
wiki entry, and the net in general without finding anything that solves
my problem. I have found posts asking about this issue and general
statements about using the persistent image but nothing that
suggests what to do.

I am using the 4.0.2 version.

What am I missing?

Django

PaulBx1
06-15-2006, 05:22 AM
I am hardly an expert, but I might have the answer.

First look at this thread. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10577&highlight=firefox+bookmarks) Although there is a lot of thrashing around on it, it will show you that to keep bookmarks and such from Firefox, or email from Thunderbird, you have to install Firefox or Thunderbird under /home (correct me if I'm in error, folks). Apparently, if you use Konqueror or other Knoppix programs, the info is automatically stored under /home so this step is not necessary (again, correct me if I'm wrong :roll: ).

Also, please note from that thread there is some danger with restored config data writing over persistent home data. Looks like saving config data, esp. the personal and the desktop options, are dangerous this way. They were talking about earlier Knoppix versions, don't know if that problem still exists (but it seems likely, because you have two ways to save the same stuff - dumb!). Looks best to avoid saving config stuff if you can, except that which does not result in anything going back to /home (looks like networks and graphics and "other" options might be OK). I'm guessing if you have a persistent home, any config into dealing with the personal or desktop options that you would have saved with the save config program, will be automatically saved as it is in persistent home.

django
06-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the leads. Sounds like a promising direction.

Django

django
06-15-2006, 06:06 PM
The fog is starting to lift. It will be tonight before I can
start experimenting but things are starting to make
sense and I've got a sense of direction again.

Thanks

Django

django
06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
My problem seems to be solved. (Thanks Paul for pointing me
in the right direction.)

If I boot using just the Home cheatcode the Firefox settings persist.
I also tested Thunderbird settings and saved a draft message and
they also persisted.

So what I seemed to have missed before was that the myconfig (or
floppyconfig) and the home cheatcodes are mutually exclusive, that
when used together something is likely to get clobbered.

I misread the documentation to imply that the two config options
loaded the configurations and the home option created/mounted
the persistent image and that both were required. Not so apparently.

Django

malaire
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I am hardly an expert, but I might have the answer.

First look at this thread. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10577&highlight=firefox+bookmarks) Although there is a lot of thrashing around on it, it will show you that to keep bookmarks and such from Firefox, or email from Thunderbird, you have to install Firefox or Thunderbird under /home (correct me if I'm in error, folks). Apparently, if you use Konqueror or other Knoppix programs, the info is automatically stored under /home so this step is not necessary (again, correct me if I'm wrong :roll: ).

Nearly all Linux programs saves their data under /home, including Firefox and Thunderbird.

If your username is "knoppix", then Firefox saves bookmarks to
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarks.html
where '*' is some random chars.

I don't use Thunderbird, so I'm not 100% sure where it saves the emails, but I'd quess somewhere in /home/knoppix/.mozilla

django
06-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Malaire

Thanks for adding to the clarity.

Django