PDA

View Full Version : What can I install if I can't install new 5.0.1? Debian?

podo
06-15-2006, 02:04 AM
What linux software is close to knoppix that I could install?
I looked on the Debian site but I have zero clue how to download that ,or how it works. The different ways to install have me confused. I have a Hp a730n desktop with a 3.00 intel p4 and 1 gb ram with a 200gb harddrive. I split the harddrive in half so I could install knoppix, but when I tried it just messed up my machine. Does anyone live near Rochester N.Y? I'll just pay someone to install the software. I just want to get started and get going so I can learn things. I don't like using the live disk. Then when I download the plugins and turn off the computer they are gone.Of course any software thats close to knoppix would be the best. I tried CentOS a few times and I had zero clue how to use that.

Harry Kuhman
06-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Got network access on the system that you want to install to? Go here (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/). Download the ISO from the first line that is right for you, i386 for most pc users, ia64 if you have a 64 bit system. Burn it to CDR or CDRW. Make sure that you have some unpartitioned space available on the hard drive (delete that old Knoppix mistake if you have not already done so). Boot the CD you made. Go through the dialog. When you get to the software selection point install the "Desktop environment" if you want a GUI (it will install Gnome, you can always apt-get KDE if you want that). Good Luck.