PDA

View Full Version : Questions about saved config and persistent home

PaulBx1
06-15-2006, 06:00 AM
I'm trying to get a grip on what's going on with these. Have lots of questions not adequately answered in FAQs or "Knoppix Hacks", etc.

1) Apparently, saved configs have some options (personal, desktop) that save data that is contained entirely under /home, and other options (all the rest) that save data contained entirely outside it. True?

2) Are these "personal" and "desktop" options under save configs, proper subsets of the data that is saved with a persistent home automatically, such that they are no longer needed if you've enabled persistent home? (Seems to follow if #1 is true.)

3) If I have a persistent home created under, say, Knoppix 4.0.2, and then boot up Knoppix 5.0.1, will the latter read and use the data properly? That is, is all the configuration data, Konqueror bookmarks, and whatnot usable by the newer versions of the programs?

4) I've already read that saved config data is not usable by the upgraded Knoppix, (mentioned on this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10577&highlight=firefox+bookmarks)), so if saved config data under /home is the problem, the answer to #3 must be no also. In that case, how does one upgrade one's home directory? Is it a big manual repair process for the config or other data like bookmarks?

5) I'm guessing regular Knoppix programs, like Konqueror, save things under /home, right?

6) Programs like Firefox do not, so Firefox bookmarks are not saved unless a replacement Firefox is installed under /home, right? And emails in Thunderbird, same way, right?

I'll be back to ask more, probably...

django
06-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi Paul

As a result of my experiments I can give tentative answers to
a few of your questions (of the so far so good variety).

Using a persistent image does seem to be a superset of the
myconfig and floppyconfig options.

But I haven't found it necessary to reinstall Firefiox or Thunderbird
to the home directory if I enable the home directory in the
home option. I don't even seem to have to enable the system
area option (which surprises me).

The big discovery for me was that the config options and the
home option appear to be mutually exclusive.

No ideas on your other questions since I'm still running 4.0.2.

Regards

Django

malaire
06-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I can answer these 2 questions:

5) I'm guessing regular Knoppix programs, like Konqueror, save things under /home, right?

6) Programs like Firefox do not, so Firefox bookmarks are not saved unless a replacement Firefox is installed under /home, right? And emails in Thunderbird, same way, right?

I'll be back to ask more, probably...
Allmost everything saves things under /home, even Firefox and Thunderbird.

If your username is "knoppix", then Firefox saves bookmarks to
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarks.html
where '*' is some random chars.

I don't use Thunderbird, so I'm not 100% sure where it saves the emails, but I'd quess somewhere in /home/knoppix/.mozilla