PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED [KDE 3.5.3 fails loading desktop]

tr
06-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Everything has worked fine in my remasterings but now I got a problem. Dist-upgrading from KDE 3.5.2 to KDE 3.5.3 removed kdelibs-bin and now KDE starts but fails in loading destkop. I'm not sure if there is coming any kdelibs-bin package to unstable - I think that kdelibs is replacement for it. What to do?

-tapsa-

tr
06-17-2006, 08:58 PM
I still can't get KDE to go forward after Loading Desktop. Could there be some changes in 3.5.3's startup process so that /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession can't start KDE anymore? At least in page http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog3_5_2to3_5_3.php is mentioned of kdebase:

New: KDE startup reordered in order to improve startup time.
How to get 45xsession fixed so that init 5 starts KDE?

-tapsa-

mikekgr
06-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Dear Tr,

I suffer from the same "kind" of problem. I have older version of knoppix installed at my Hard Disk and after last apt-get upgrade the "loading" of the KDE stopped at Loading Desktop and if you wait 2-3 minutes you will see only the wallpaper of the screen nothing more...

Did you find any solution may be related to 45Xsession file???

What do you think??

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

tr
06-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Did you find any solution may be related to 45Xsession file???

Yes, this must be 45xsession problem, see http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2006/06/msg00068.html
I don't know how to fix this, yet :(

-tapsa-

mikekgr
06-28-2006, 07:05 PM
thanks a lot.
Please if you find the solution let me knows.... for the time being I reverted a recent backup so I have 3.5.2 at least

Bye

mikekgr
07-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Dear tapsa,

did you found any solution on the above mentioned problem????

Anybody else found a solution???

Please help
\

tr
07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
did you found any solution on the above mentioned problem????

Sorry, I have not. Perhaps we need to wait until Mr. Knopper or Kano makes a new release. I don't even be sure any more if this is a 45xsession problem or KDE bug.

According to my experience there's also problems with new 2.6.17 kernel. My old 2.6.16. kernel works fine but with 2.6.17 kernel ndiswrapper don't work. So peculiar as it looks like, I also have problems starting dcopserver - with new 2.6.17 kernel (having in same DVD two bootable kernels) Nothing wrong with my old kernel http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix/suomiknoppix/linux-2.6.16-beyond4.1/

-tapsa-

Palvarado
07-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Hello everybody,

I've been playing around, and I think the problem lies in the definition of the environment variable LD_BIND_NOW within the '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession' script, which should be now exactly defined as in the '/usr/bin/startkde' script. I haven't test it yet though.

Regards,

Pablo

mikekgr
07-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Dear Palvarado,
thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Because I am not linux guru, only user here, how can solve the problem follows your suggestion???

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis

tr
07-16-2006, 07:25 AM
I've been playing around, and I think the problem lies in the definition of the environment variable LD_BIND_NOW within the '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession' script, which should be now exactly defined as in the '/usr/bin/startkde' script. I haven't test it yet though.

Hi Palvarado, you did it! This really works!

To those who don't understand what to do, I try to explain this as clearly as possibly. You must change the following portion in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file

# kdeinit unsets this variable before loading applications.
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit || \
{ xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation"; return 1; }

to:

# kdeinit unsets this variable before loading applications.
LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup
if test $? -ne 0; then
# Startup error
echo 'startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.' 1>&2
xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation."
fi

-tapsa-

mikekgr
07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Dear tapsa,

it is very nice to have the solution on this problem.

Thanks a lot. I will try it on Monday!!!!

B. R.

mikekgr
07-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Dear tapsa,

iYES!!! your solution working as a dream.

Thanks a lot again!!!

B. R.

mikekgr
09-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Dear tapsa, Dear All
regarding the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file, do you know where used and why, especially in case of full Hard Disk installation?
It is strange but if I removed the file, the KDE can started but I loss the screen resolution, it is not possible to get 1280x1024 (I got 1024x768). If I put back the 45xsession and ofcourse I restart the kdm (/etc/init,d/kdm restart) I have back my good 1280x1024 resolution...
Strange e?...
Please is there somebody that can help me to get rid of the 45xsession file???

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

tr
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
regarding the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file, do you know where used and why, especially in case of full Hard Disk installation?
It is strange but if I removed the file, the KDE can started but I loss the screen resolution, it is not possible to get 1280x1024 (I got 1024x768). If I put back the 45xsession and ofcourse I restart the kdm (/etc/init,d/kdm restart) I have back my good 1280x1024 resolution...
Strange e?...
Please is there somebody that can help me to get rid of the 45xsession file???

You should NOT have 45xsession after hd installation. It is used ONLY in liveCD sto start window managers. After hd installation you usually have KDM where you login to X and KDE. Of course you can enable AutoLogin from /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, too.

But your problem. What happens to other usernames? Does same problem exist in them, too? If not, your problem is with /home/user_name or in /tmp permissions or settings. Perhaps renaming /home/user_name/.kde to something else and copying new KDE settings from /etc/skel/.kde helps (cp -rp /etc/skel/.kde /home/user_name/.kde and chown -R user_name:group_name /home/user_name/.kde). Be sure that owner of /tmp, /tmp/.ICE-unix and /tmp/.X11-unix is root and permissions are 1777 (use command la to check this):

drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 112 2006-09-10 17:06 .ICE-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 72 2006-09-10 17:06 .X11-unix

On thing more: What options are available ins /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Section "Screen"?. I think that Knoppix liveCD uses Knoppix specific /usr/sbin/mkxorgconfig file to build xorg.conf file.

mikekgr
09-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Dear tapsa,

from the beginning (since 2004) this knoppix hard disk installation (Debian like) uses 45xsession although I use kdm as login manager (normally started from /etc/init.d/kdm start) I don't know why. If I remove it, then, it is possible to have kde running (first kdm at 1280x1024 and then kde at 1024x768!!!) but with screen resolution funny problems!!!
I will check all these that you wrote to me (many thanks) and I will let you know.
It is common now, always I suffer from strange problems tho...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

mikekgr
09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
SOLVED!
The problem related with the KDE screen resolution it was related to a kde program that sets kde resolution and by mistake had set 1024x768.

Now all working fine AND without 45xsession.

Mr. tapsa again many thanks.

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis