PDA

View Full Version : Chess Software over LAN?

A. Jorge Garcia
05-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Do any of you know of any software I could use to replace one chess set and clock for 2 players over a LAN? I would like to use something like this in my chess club running KNOPPIX.

TIA,

Dave_Bechtel
05-12-2003, 10:38 PM
' apt-cache search chess |sort ' came up with a few things you could look into:

gnuchess
xboard
3dchess
crafty

--I dunno about the clock tho, might have to do that one manually.

Do any of you know of any software I could use to replace one chess set and clock for 2 players over a LAN? I would like to use something like this in my chess club running KNOPPIX.

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-14-2003, 04:05 AM
How about rgXnetchess? I can't get it to compile! Please see
http://www2.uni-jena.de/allgpsy/rg/chess.html
and let me know what I'm doing wrong....

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Its looking to compile the Qt libraries. How do i include these on the compile line?

I have a c++ class that uses the X11 graphics libraries and my compile line is something like:

g++ -o myprog myprog.cc ccc_x11.cpp ccc_shap.cpp -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

Do I need something like -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 for the Qt libs?

The code looked like C, so I tried:

gcc -o chess chess.cc

and got tons of errors.

Then I tried g++ like this:

g++ -o chess chess.cc

and it can't find all the Qt #include lines!

How do i fix this?

TIA,

RockMumbles
05-15-2003, 09:05 PM
usually you would cd to the source directory and use:

make

I went to the webpage and there is a statically linked binary there (http://www2.uni-jena.de/allgpsy/rg/rgXnetchess_static.gz), have you tried that, with all of the qt version problems that is what I'd try.

HTH

rock

A. Jorge Garcia
05-15-2003, 09:43 PM
I tried make and got no where!

Let me look at the static lib.

Thanx,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-17-2003, 02:23 AM
OK, I looked at the static and dynamic libraries. I must be dense, but what exactly can I do with these??? :?

TIA,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Ok, I tried the following compile line:

g++ -o chess chess.cc -I/usr/include/qt

Now I get the Qt libraries, but still no compile! :x

Regards,

Dave_Bechtel
05-22-2003, 12:48 AM
--Have you seen glChess? http://www.happypenguin.org/show?glChess

Ok, I tried the following compile line:

g++ -o chess chess.cc -I/usr/include/qt

Now I get the Qt libraries, but still no compile! :x

Regards,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Yes, I have seen glChess, but you can't play over a network. The problem is I can't find ANY chess program where I can play an opponent over a LAN in real time with a chess clock! rgXnetchess, based on xboard, is supposed to do exactly that.

Thanx anyway!

Regards,

RockMumbles
05-22-2003, 05:27 PM
I looked at the static and dynamic libraries
they are static and dynamic binaries not libraries!

what exactly can I do with these???
execute them

FYI, the rgXnetchess static binary works fine on my debian woody installs but won't run on my knoppix or morphix machines, maybe try the dynamic rgXnetchess binary.

rock

A. Jorge Garcia
05-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh, so these are the compiled programs??? I couldn't get them to work before, so I thought they were compiled libraries for Qt. When I unzipped them, they were not executable, I suppose I could chmod....

Thanx,

RockMumbles
05-22-2003, 08:55 PM
If after chmoding them they won't work it's because of something caused by knoppix or morphix, because they run on my woody install just fine.

You may need to build a debian system for your server and use knoppix for your clients.

rock

A. Jorge Garcia
05-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Yup, I got the same results as you did, Rock. I tried both the static and dynamic binaries, chmoded them to 755 and couldn't execute either one of them neither from a regular shell nor from a roor shell. I tried root shell because bash was saying that the file wasn't there when I tried to run it, but it was there when I chmoded and its still there under ls - what gives?

I guess I'm going to have to wait until my new lab comes in and see how it works with knx-hdinstall. That's what you mean by a debian woody, right? I haven't used debian much....

Thanx anyway!

Regards,

A. Jorge Garcia
05-24-2003, 02:23 PM
If after chmoding them they won't work it's because of something caused by knoppix or morphix, because they run on my woody install just fine.

You may need to build a debian system for your server and use knoppix for your clients.

rock

OK, I tried both the rgXnetchess and the rgXnetchess_static binaries on my knx-hdinstalled PC and no go. Is this what you mean by a woody install? What am I missing here??

TIA,

RockMumbles
05-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Again you'll have to do a hd install but you might want to look into the FreeICS project, I think they have a sourceforge site.

I don't use knoppix or morphix for hd installs except for playing around they usually last me a few weeks or so, I've had too many problems trying to get things how I want them and too many corrupted filesystems with knoppix, one just this week. Most of my knoppix use is running it live from cd.

they run on my woody install just fine
I use Libranet for a basic debian woody install and then build the system to my liking. I have better font rendering and a more stable system with "libranet" than with a knoppix or morphix hd install, and for some reason the knoppix and morphix installs seem slower on my old hardware. I use a bunch of backported packages so I have a "stable" system with pretty new packages installed. For me stability and reliability is the most important factor.

rock