PDA

View Full Version : No Shell?

tcohoon
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I finally get up and running in Knoppix 5.0.1 (after nuch difficulty) and I cant open a shell. I get the folowing message:

A Fatal Error Has Occurred - Konsole
Konsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletype). It is likely this is
due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to have
read/write access to the PTY devices.

Help please

tcohoon
06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
LOL, I figured out one problem anyway... The shell problem was because I used Knoppix noudev at the boot prompt..... When I was trying to find out why I could not get Knoppix 5.0.1 to stay running on my system I systematically went through the Nocodes. I found that my CDRW drive was not showing up on my desktop. When I used the knoppix noudev code it showed up. Now that I have booted without the noudev code I can use my shell. I still cant use my CDRW drive. I tried to play an audio CD with Kaffeine player. It says no audio CD found. I also tried to access a data disc but was unable to. It was like the drive wasnt there. It is odd because when the system boots it lists the drive with the other devices. it lists it as hdd. I even tried to mount it from the shell.... it says mount: No medium found. I put a data disc in the drive and tried again with the same results.

I booted back into 4.0.2 and found that even though the icon is there I cannot access the CDRW drive. I hadnt really tried before. I have recently been running Knoppix more and more in an attempt to learn more about linux and become a bit more comfortable with it.

any ideas on what I could try to be able to access that drive?

Thank you, in adavance for any suggestions and especially for your time.