PDA

View Full Version : Setting internet connection

Freedie
06-16-2006, 04:47 PM
I am newbie to knoppix as well as linux.All worked well except the inability to connect to internet.How to set up internet connection with my type of connection. I use Conexant AccessRunner USB ADSL Wan Adapter modem with broadband connection.I dont have router and ethernet interface.Please help me.

Freedie
06-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Help me please??????

pihhan
06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Run program usbview, and locate your USB modem. Then copy all information you have there about your modem, and send it here to us. Then we may try to help you. But you know, USB modems are problem and better way is having ethernet router. It is possible it wont run anyway.

Well, but i found something. Try to follow instructions on http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/

Freedie
06-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Cant I just copy and paste the details of my modem from usbview to Kwrite?

Harry Kuhman
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
This is talked about here (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) in 4, 9 and to some extent 3.

Freedie
06-20-2006, 12:14 PM
I want to ask you,what country you live.
In your place,yes ,it is very cheap but in my country,Malaysia (may be you even dont know where is it) it is quite expensive .
Its about RM 100+ for that.

I would try to find the site for a screenshot of my modem's detail.

Freedie
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
This is the screenshot of my modem'detail

http://www.slax.org/ss/user/image20060620151414.jpg

Another one(the continuation)

http://www.slax.org/ss/user/image20060620151348.jpg

Harry Kuhman
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I want to ask you,what country you live.
In your place,yes ,it is very cheap but in my country,Malaysia (may be you even dont know where is it) it is quite expensive .
Its about RM 100+ for that.

I would try to find the site for a screenshot of my modem's detail.
I'm in the US, it says that under my icon on every one of my posts.

Yes, I have a pretty good idea of where Malaysia is. I might have trouble locating your exact boarders on an unmarked map, as you are not all on one land mass, but I know the areas.

I have no idea what the exchange rates are or what RM 100 is in dollars. It really doesn't matter though; it doesn't stop USB networking from being a bad idea or not using a router on a high speed connection from being very unsafe. And while we can often find routers very inexpensive on sale (although the sales have been harder to find lately), I bought my first wired router at well ovr $100 U.S. several years ago, at a time that I didn't have a job, and it was still a good deal and an important thing to have.

Why your prices may not reflect the same world economy that I see I don't know, but it is something that you should look into before you next vote. I can assure you that more of the cosumer electronics sold here is imported from Malaysia than made here. China is currently the largest producer, but after them come several other countries all in your geographic area including your own, so there is no good reason why it should cost less to import across the Pascific and sell a router here than it would cost there. And I don't know if that price includes hidden "VAT" taxes, and I could cry to you about that sales tax put on top of the prices I mention here, as well as both federal and state income taxes and a few other sleezy taxes here, but that is getting off topic. The bottom line is that there is the right equipment for safe networking and there is the wrong equipment. USB and no router is the wrong equipment. IPS try to pass it off on users here too; it doesn't make it good. If all of your computer equipment prices are inflated then I suggest that you just look at ethernet networking and a router as another necessary part. If, as I have been lead to believe, you actually get most of your electronic equipment at bargan prices in contrast to what we pay here then I would think that you could take some of that money that you saved and spend it on solving your problems.

I'm not trying to be harsh in saying that. but I don't think it is very reasonable to expect Linux to support every badly designed USB networking device made, particularly when the manufacturers don't release Linux drivers. Or for Knoppix to add the bloat of including all of the bad drivers into a Live CD. And running without a router puts the entire Internet at risk , as well as your own system (most spam is now sent, and virus, trojan and DNS attacks carried out, from infected systems that were infected because they did't have the natural NAT hardware firewall protection that a router provides).

Freedie
06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I want to tell you that 1 USD=RM3.6
So the price of the router is about 30-40 USD( I said it is 100+ not 100)
The problem is Im only 15 years old.Im not working yet.
And my computer is my father's,so I must get his permission.
He would ask why we need a router since I dont have more than one computer.
I know that a router provide better security but my computer have never get infected by virus yet so we dont need to get a router.
(Maybe I have not yet get the punishment for not using a router)
If like that I have to get a virus so my father would purchase a router but I cannot do that.
the 30-40 USD may not represent a big amount in USA but in my country RM 100+ is a big amount

So its not that I dont want to get a router but I unable to.
Please help me connect to internet.

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2006, 09:45 AM
but my computer have never get infected by virus yet so we dont need to get a router.
(Maybe I have not yet get the punishment for not using a router)
You can afford a computer. You can afford high speed access. Your router might cost 1/3 of what my first one cost. But you don't want to spend the money for safe access.

It doesn't sound like the router is your only problem anyway, since as far as I know your modem is only USB. You couldn't hook a router up to a junky usb-only modem even if you had one. But if the modem maker does not provide Linux drivers then there is nothing that I can do to help you. There isn't much more that I can tell you that I have not already covered in the above links.

Freedie
06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Ok,what is the basic requirements to enable internet connection in linux?
Actually,the computer is purchased by my father not me.
And I use DSL because its cheaper than dial-up.
If I use dial-up,my father had to pay about RM190 a month and if I use DSL,we only need to pay RM 66 a month no matter how long I use their services.And I think my modem(conexant) provide drivers for their modem.

And please someone help me to connect to internet?

TheBoyMole
06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
If you're determined to get it to work then your best bet will be to go to the SourceForge driver project for your modem. They have a forum:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=155749

If the driver requires you to recompile the Kernel I think you'll find it tricky to get it to work with the LiveCD though.

Best of luck, nonetheless.

Freedie
06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Im already registering but have not yet posted my question because my account only be ready 24 hours later.
I think its better to solve problem here.
Please someone point me at right direction.

And big thanks to TheBoyMole and pihhan.

Freedie
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Please reply.