PDA

View Full Version : Can't Mount Flash Drive with Knoppix 5.0.1 installed

crazy_monkey108
06-18-2006, 05:56 AM
lately i have been having problems when i try to plug in my flash drive (or thumb drive or removable disc, whatever you want to call it) i cant mount it to, say, get files off of it or what have you. It reads it as a hard disc when i go to the storage media folder, but on the desktop it still has the same icon as unmounted removable media. When i click on it to open in it konquer, it give me the error "could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or other error". But when i booted up the live cd it worked fine, but i was unable to copy the files to the hd but i already know about that problem... so i think the main problem is that it thinks my flash drive is a hard drive and is trying to make it act like one...whicn isnt working....does anybody have any ideas on how i could fix this annoyance?

TheBoyMole
06-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Sounds like you've hit a similar problem to me. Probably your /etc/fstab file needs editing to remove the "knoppix" user that the hdd install seems to apply to partitions. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24572

crazy_monkey108
06-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for your help ill see if it works for me

crazy_monkey108
06-19-2006, 12:18 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! gosh it feels good to fix a problem doesnt it?

yea at first it was saying acess denied when i tried to save it so i had to open the root shell and then i did cd /ect and then ls and then kwrite fstab but it still gave me the same error so i tried the same thing only i opened it with kate instead of kwrite and it worked.....odd....but i dont care it worked :P but yea thank you for your help im glad i got that loss of sleep out of the way :D

crazy_monkey108
06-19-2006, 01:41 AM
ok so thats all good but i still have one more small annoyance. When i go to storage media my flash drive shows up as a hard drive...but on the desktop it has the icon of a flash drive but its name is still Hard Disk [sda1] what is it thinking that makes it think its a hard drive?

crazy_monkey108
06-21-2006, 05:56 AM
ok well now once when i plugged in my flash drive once a pop up box came up and asked me what i wanted to do with my flash drive and i selected open in new window and clicked "always perform this action" and now whenever i plug it in i have to re-edit the fstab file every time and it is a hassle...why does it do that?