PDA

View Full Version : ver 5.0.1 knoppix-installer

jerrybee
06-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Newbie problem: Downloaded ver 5.0.1 DVD iso file and burned to DVD. Booted from DVD. Ran knoppix-installer from terminal in attempt to install to already-partitioned HDD with Knoppix ver 4 installed -- was looking to either upgrade v 4 to v 5 or install v 5 in the v 4 partition after re-formatting it. Saw no option to upgrade. The "partition select" area said something like "partition different" and listed no ability to select any other partition, e.g. the partition where v 4 is installed. There were also some windows listing the programmers who worked on knoppix-installer, and some words about the "preliminary status" of it.
Q: does this "knoppix-installer" actually work, and if so what am I overlooking? I used the ver in the v 4 distro and it seemed to work OK.
Added info: the download process stopped about 6 minutes short of the end of a 7-hour download, popping up a Firefox window saying that there wasn't enough room on the HDD to store the iso file -- the HDD partition I was downloading it to has 45GB free space, so storing a 4.1GB iso file in it doesn't seem like it should be a problem. I went ahead and burned it to DVD and that process seemed to work OK.

danielp98
06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
...and listed no ability to select any other partition, e.g. the partition where v 4 is installed. .

I`m having a similar problem. I have thre hard disks. I have boot Knoppix in a live session and called knoppix-installer. There many partitions on the hds, some are FAT32, others NTFS, reiser and ext3.

The point is that knoppix-installer gives me no alternatives tom install. It chooses a small partition of 1,3 GB and lists no other partitions to do the hd-install.
Any suggestion

TYVM.
Daniel

PS? this seems to be one of the firts problems in Linux? we just do not know to whom aaask for help. I`m trying here.