PDA

View Full Version : sndconfig not detecting soundcard

jasin
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
When I run sndconfig I get the message, "You dont seem to be runing a kernel with modular sound enabled."

How do I enable modular sound or get a kernel with modular sound enabled?

I have knoppix installed on the hard drive btw.

sys specs:
knoppix 5.0.1
Sound blaster 128 pci
512 ddr
1.6 ghz

ckamin
06-20-2006, 01:57 AM
First of all, you may not have had a response since your question involves a Hard Drive installation and would be better placed in that part of the forum.

I would try running alsaconf from a terminal window as root. I have not had good luck using the soundconf tool either. I get the same messages as you have, but have used alsaconf with success. Just let it detect your soundcard. I usually don't install Knoppix to the hard drive, since it is really not intended to be installed. I would recommend something like Debian for a HDD install. Instaling Knoppix to the hard drive usually results in numerous issues, such as the one you have encountered, so far. Networking is also a badly affected area.

jasin
06-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Please dont be rude, i'm new to this forum and knoppix.

Thanks, Jason

jasin
06-20-2006, 07:19 AM
I got the sound working. Alsaconf detected my soundcard and installed the appropriate soundcard drivers.

Thanks, Jason

ckamin
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Please dont be rude, i'm new to this forum and knoppix

I'm not trying to be rude, or to give you a hard time. It's good advice and needed to be conveyed. It is sometimes difficult in getting help to resolve your issues in any forum. Posting in the proper place can put you one step ahead, since the right people will see your post quickly. I'm sorry if it sounded that way, but there was no intention of being rude.

I'm glad that it appears your sound card issue has been resolved. It has been my experience that for some reason, the Soundconfig tool has not worked for me and gives the same error messages you had encountered. I just now automatically use the alsaconf tool and then set up KMix or some other sound app to handle the controls.

You will find that there are many people that have installed Knoppix to their hard drives and have encountered numerous problems after the install. Things that worked fine as a live disk refuse to work after the install. I usually just use a distro intended for a hard disk install if that is the intention. Live distros usually don't install well. Some exceptions exist, like Kanotix, but most are troublesome and not something a beginner would not want to try.