PDA

View Full Version : How to configure Lilo to boot Knoppix?

smolk
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi y'all, I'm a new Linuxn00b, but i have learnt a few things, like using the shell a bit and mounting devices and editing .conf-files and stuff like that.

My problem is that I can't boot my Knoppix.

It's my motherboard, an old Abit BE6-II with an PIII, and it can't boot from CD. It has the option in BIOS, but when I select it it ignores it, or don't boot at all if it's my only alternative. (Neither SMB or Grup worked.)So I did a simple copy from a comp that is fully functional and can boot from CD and run KNoppix. I didn't install it, I just ran
knoppix tohd=/dev/hda6 I didn't have much hard drive space left. It works fine, and I run Knoppix from the HDD. But when I shut down the computer and reboot, I can't run it again. I've also got a Slackware installation on the drive, which I boot with Lilo. Can I also boot Knoppix from the HDD with Lilo`? I've tried a lot of times, but i can't make it work. I'm editing the lilo.conf in slackware with vi.
image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdg6 is one of the settings what I've tried. When I use that, and then boot and select Knoppix in Lilo it boots normal, but then I get
Kernel Panic No init found. Try init=option or something similar.

What should I do? Ask questions if something is unclear.

Thanks.