View Full Version : Bootdisk for 5.0

bender
06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I need a bootdisk to begin knoppix to boot from CD,
without a bootdisc my PC boot WinXP - even when
bios said:
1.) Floppy 2.) CD/DVD 3.) Harddisc

Where can I find a bootdisc to run knoppix 5.0 ?

Thanks in advance !

UnderScore
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Have you seen this: My computer won't boot from CD. What should I do? (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ#Q:_My_computer_won.27t_boot_from_C D._What_should_I_do.3F)

bender
06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Yes: "Disk Error 0*01"

I`m on a Dell HyperThread P4 and my system never start form disc,
with no other live-cd (but in Bios it`s available to boot from CD) ...

Old versions of knoppix had a "mkfloppy.bat" on CD and under
Dos-prompt you`re able to create a startdisk and after this
Knoppix works fine all the time ... but the new Knoppix doN`t
had a "mkfloppy.bat" ...

(and my floopy create by "mkfloppy.bat" from knoppix 3.5 don`t work with Knoppix 5)

I need a bootdisk fpr 5.0 :cry:

ckamin
06-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I`m on a Dell HyperThread P4 and my system never start form disc,
with no other live-cd (but in Bios it`s available to boot from CD) ...

I would look for a bios update from Dell. It sure does sound like a few that I've encountered before. Sometimes the bios update will fix it and most of the time, the Smart Boot Manager does the trick. Just remember to install the SBM to a floppy. If your system has no floppy, well that presents another issue.

bender
06-21-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks ckamin,

but I just need the startdisc/bootdisc ...
(because I have a floppy)

Old versions of knoppix had a "mkfloppy.bat" on CD and under
Dos-prompt you`re able to create a startdisk and after this
Knoppix works fine all the time ... but the new Knoppix doN`t
had a "mkfloppy.bat" ...

(and my floopy create by "mkfloppy.bat" from knoppix 3.5 don`t work with Knoppix 5)

I need a bootdisk fpr 5.0 :cry:

Previous versions of knoppix contained mkfloppy.bat and it was very
easy to create bootdisk thats works perfect - new versions don´t
support this ...

ckamin
06-21-2006, 06:33 AM
but I just need the startdisc/bootdisc ...
(because I have a floppy)

Smart Boot Manager IS a boot disk of sorts. It will allow you to select the boot device and will work in most cases. It will work with almost ANY boot device that your system might recognize. It has worked quite well for me in the past. It does NOT modify your hard drive or system if you install it to a floppy. It allows you to select the boot device, whether it is the optical drive, floppy, or hard drive. It is very simple to use and set up. It will allow you to boot other types of disks from your optical drive and is not limited to Knoppix as the knoppix boot disk might be. It is a very good alternative, since I don't really know of an easy way to produce a Knoppix boot disk without the bat file to do so. It appears that the boot disk option is not available in the newest version of Knoppix. Smart Boot Manager is a very good tool and I keep a couple of disks around and use it quite regularly for systems with issues such as yours. I would highly recommend that you try it, since it appears that the option you are looking/hoping for is not available in Version 5.0.1.

As I mentioned before, it could possibly be a bios issue and you might be successful looking for a bios update from Dell. It may make the Bootdisk unecessary.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. A viable solution has been recommended and it appears that you don't wish to try it. I would also like to buy gasoline for under $1 US, but that is not possible here anymore either, so I have to deal with what is available.

bender
06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks ckamin,

Smart Boot Manager (on floppy) gives me by booting from floppy an error: "Disk Error 0*01"

I have a 3.3 knoppix-startdisc here, created with knoppix 3.3 - works and boot perefct with 3.3

It contains these files:

boot
f2
german.KBD
ldlinux
LOGO.16
Miniroot
syslinux.cfg
vmlinuz

I deon´t understand that knoppix gives not any longer the option to create bootdisks ... not very
clever ... mkfloppy.bat costs just some bytes on CD ...

[/i]

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2006, 07:59 AM
... not very clever ... mkfloppy.bat costs just some bytes on CD ...
Although you don't know it, the problem is more than just that. As opposed to SBM, the Knoppix boot diskette contained the actual Linux kernel. It booted from floppy and then the Linux kernel loaded the rest of Linux (just as it does when it is booted from CD). But because of bloat, the Kernel no longer fits on a single floppy.

ckamin
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
You might look at the following link for some suggestions. You can also try contacting the author at: suzhe@gnuchina.org

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.smart-boot-manager/month=20060201

I would try a NEW floppy and be sure to use the command "sbminst.exe -d 0" and see what happens.

I still think that the issues is related to your hardware/bios and it might be worth a try to check for a bios update, or contact Dell on your issue. It is unusual for system of recent manufacture, to fail to boot from an optical drive. Since Dell probably made more than one of your model system, it might have been experienced by others and may have been addressed already.

As Harry Kuhman explained, there are reasons that the Boot Disk option is no longer available or a viable solution in Knoppix.

bender
06-22-2006, 04:09 AM
I would try a NEW floppy and be sure to use the command "sbminst.exe -d 0" and see what happens.

Hi ckamin,

when this mean "0" (zero) I tryed it exactly that way and get the error ...

Thanks Harry Kuhman,

I`m searching around the whole wide world for a solution to this
startdisc-problem, there are a lot guys used bootdisc before (3.3
Knoppix - higher version don`t support this) and it`s hard to
understand why new versions don`t support things what old
version do - Sounds like microsoft : )

I hope to find a solution : (