PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cover a lot of Knoppix custom CD bases

brodders
05-12-2003, 11:01 PM
What an impressive distro!

I'm sufficiently whelmed with Knoppix that I'd consider using it for servers. BUT as I can't always be there to guide the interactive boot sequence I can't use it as a server.

Many other people also seem to want to control the boot process, perhaps then running some sort of default application or script.

I thus suggest that the BASE Knoppix application should behave as follows:

If boot times out, Knoppix by default performs a search of all mountable devices in a specific sequence, such as:

<removables>
USB devices
floppy disks
<fixed>
hard drives in SCSI then IDE a > z, partition 1 > higher order

(- any more devices?)

for the first instance of a file called knoppix.boot.

This holds a normal boot-line command e.g. home=scan etc.

On completing boot to the point that X is about to be started, at that point Knoppix scans devices in a specific sequence, this time being:

<removables>
USB devices
floppy disks
<fixed>
Knoppix home directory as defined in knoppix.boot
hard drives in SCSI then IDE a > z, partition 1 > higher order

(- any more devices?)

looking for a file called knoppix-apps.boot

If not found, a default is run which results in the usual KDE desktop.

knoppix-apps.boot would be a bash script which would start the user's choice of desktop, any specific apps etc. People would soon be swapping useful scripts.

Yes, I could make a new CD which did stuff like this. And remake it on the next release, and the next etc. This sort of stuff though would cover so many custom CD bases that I think it should be in the base distro.

Does this give enough control + cover the main needs? This would be useful for me and offer lots of flexibility.

Thanks to all,
?:^)
brodders