PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Live CD Help

Dummie
06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey, I'm new to Knoppix Live and my problem is everytime I turn off my computer all the information and things i save on my computer disappear, Is that normal? I hate having to re-install java everytime i turn on my computer :( , also i mite want to mention that i have windows installed on my hard-drive and I lost the CD code for it :( so i can't access any of my information on windows either......grrrrrr......Please send help, thanks.

Harry Kuhman
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Too bad about losing your Windows disc, but I'm not sure why you think we should care or what we can do about it.

As to a Live CD forgetting everything when you reboot, yup, completely normal. There is the concept of a persistant home directory in Knoppix which some people are reported to use. I have never quite got it to work, but you could read the wiki or these forums for more information on it.

Exactly what your Windows status is isn't clear. You say you lost the CD, but so what? If you still have it installed then what's the big deal? Some victims,.... I mean customers, of some of the larger OEM PC makers out there don't even get a real CD any more.

Of course, if you have used the Live CD as an intro to Linux as intended and want a real Linux install that you can cleanly add more applications to and that will automatically save all of your settings and data, then you could consider installing Debian to the hard disk. But something about you chosen user name makes me think that you are going to reject that idea.

WaKa
06-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Reinstalling java?
Knoppix 5.0.1 already has this java included
java version "1.4.2_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_11-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_11-b06, mixed mode)

Are you installing another version or API?
Remastering a whole new java version might be possible.