PDA

View Full Version : DHCP not working trying to connect to Windows Network

zzapper
06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi,
Knoppix newbie. The Windows XP PC had it's network settings set to "Get IP & DNS address automatically".

But When I try to configure Knoppix via netcardconfig and say yes to DHCP it say resource temprarily unavailable?

Help me pls!!

What should the manual settings be?

zzapper

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Do you think it might help if you told us what you are hooking up to?

zzapper
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Harry,
The Network is driven by a BT Voyager 240 Router which connects to Broadband.

From my Knoppix PC (Live CD) I and ping 127.0.0.1 OK but that's all

I have tried setting manual DNS, Gateway etc from netcardconfig

zzapper

Harry Kuhman
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Harry,
The Network is driven by a BT Voyager 240 Router which connects to Broadband.
OK, good. A router should set you up by DHCP and things should just work. Apparently that is not happening here but the problem should be resolvable.

From my Knoppix PC (Live CD) I and ping 127.0.0.1 OK but that's all
Meaningless. Pinging the loopback doesn't test the hardware at all. It would be much more useful to know what failed.

I have tried setting manual DNS, Gateway etc from netcardconfig
So what happened? What settings did you try (and why did you select those values)? I can't tell you what the manual settings should be without knowing what your router's IP address is and what settings it normally is expected to hand out.

So tell us what you are trying to use. Also tell us the results of typing ipconfig in your windows machine(s) at a command prompt, as well as what ifconfig is telling you under Knoppix.

If you have any nasty "security features" turned on in that router, like limiting access by MAC address or even by IP address, turn them off for now. I don't know if your router has these features or not, but many do and we have tracked down some problems to the router doing exactly what it had been told to do.

Can you ping the router's local IP address? Do you know the router's local IP address?

zzapper
06-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Harry,
I'm trying to write some info back to a windows directory
/media/hda1/temp/kxtrace.txt

but I'haven't got write access, where can I write to?

Dave

Harry Kuhman
06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
but I'haven't got write access, where can I write to?
See answer #6 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) and think alternatives like flash drives and even floppies.