PDA

View Full Version : Icons position after remastering [SOLVED]

Dredman
06-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Hi i've remastered a knoppix 4.02 and the problem is maybe stupid but with icons on desktop
whe I've manually set them to positions on the destktop let say.... example :

icon icon icon <space><space><space> icon

icon icon icon <space><space><space> icon
<space><space><space><space><space> icon

and after reamstering they are align to the left so something like this

icon icon icon icon

icon icon icon icon

icon

or in other knopixxes configurations with icons
i hope that someone knows what i mean and how to solve this thing

thanks and greetings

malaire
06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
After a quick test, it seems that Desktop-icon positions in KDE are saved to /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

The problem might be that this file is overwritten during Knoppix startup.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to solve this. You could try saving this file somewhere (e.g. /etc/IconPositions) and then create a knoppix.sh-script which copies this file to it's right location. knoppix.sh is run after Knoppix has overwritten all files it wants to overwrite in your home-directory, but before X is started, so I think this might work.

Alternative would be to figure out why/where knoppix overwrites this file and fix that. (If I'm right in guessing that Knoppix really overwrites this during startup.)

firnsy
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
If I'm right in guessing that Knoppix really overwrites this during startup.

Yes you are correct, 45xsession overwrites this location. In fact the home directory is erased/constructed during a live boot. The 45xsession script runs an rsync of /etc/skel to the home directory of the user booting.

My suggestion is that if the icons are to programs/files that all users will have access to, then copy the file /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions to /etc/skel/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions. You may have to edit 45xsession to ensure rsync will copy over the new file.[/quote]

Dredman
10-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I've figured this thing out :)
malaire thx for a link
All I gotta do was changing rights to a file /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions to 644 and all folders and subfolders that are tracking to this file to 755 and all works fine.

so enjoy for other rematsers :D