PDA

View Full Version : Hard write access

brinkman94
06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey is need help with the wite access on my SATA hard drive. i right click it and mount it and then right click and choose change write access and when i click ok i says "The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently. thanks :(

Harry Kuhman
06-25-2006, 09:17 AM
What type of partition do you have on that nice big SATA drive?

brinkman94
06-25-2006, 09:55 AM
i have 2 SATA hard drives and each have 2 NTFS partitions.

Harry Kuhman
06-25-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't believe that it can be done. There was some talk that 5.0.1 would be able to write to NTFS "in a limited way", whatever that means, but I have yet to see any reports that it works or is safe. If past history is any indication, if you manage to write to NTFS you risk completely corrupting the file system.

brinkman94
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
well, my friend had a hard drive that was at the brink of failure and it had windows and all of his music and beats that he created and it was a IDE drive and is would not ever boot windows. when i tried to put it in my system as a slave with all my SATA drives it stilll did not let windows boot. I tried puting it in a usb enclusure and windows would start up half way and freeze then i turning the external hard drive off and it continued starting up regularlly. I think it is posesed. so i tryed knoppix and it saw the drive as NTFS and my SATA's came up as USB's and i was able to transfer some of the files to my SATA hard drives. however it not all of the files were copyed becuase it said "could not change write permission for XXXXXXX file". and when i went back to windows the files that actully made it were perfectly fine. However i would like to know why it gave me the error message above, and how do i change wirte permission for my SATA drives. thanks

Harry Kuhman
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
.... However i would like to know why it gave me the error message above, and how do i change wirte permission for my SATA drives. thanks
Glad you were able to get the files you wanted. Sorry, can't help with SATA issues (I have no SATA myself, so my knowledge is only what is posted here.) Maybe someone else can help. If you do learn what it is please post back to help others.