PDA

View Full Version : I'm unimpressed with 5.01

turbine
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Got the new 5.01 dvd and I don't like it. It doesn't have the needed drivers for me to setup my printer. It doesn't retain my screen resolution settings from boot to boot. I prefer 800 x 600 and I save my settings and then reboot with myconfig=scan. Doesn't work.

All of those extra apps that come with 5.01 aren't worth the aggravation when the basics no longer work. I'm going back to 4.02.

ndb
07-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I have knoppix 5.0.1 CD, and had the same problem with printing. I have an Epson stylus color 740. I found what I had to do was choose, instead of the specific printer driver, choose esp, then your specific printer brand. In my case, I chose esp -< epson stylus color series. There is no further choice of drivers, as there was in 4.0. ESP seems to be a product providing a massive set of drivers across linux/unix/mac OS X.

As for the resolution, did you try reconfiguring KDE? There is a button on the left side, display, that will give you a choice. My old eyes prefer 800X600. The one thing I haven't figured out yet is changing the font for the Firefox menu.

I haven't used myconf=scan. I usually refer to the directory on my hard drive where I've stored configs.tbz and knoppix.sh.

If you give it a try, please post the results.

turbine
07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it seems that once you select HP and then select Deskjet 3420 the system tells you that it doesn't have drivers for that printer.

You can say myconfig=scan or specify the hdd and directory where the configuration files are stored. You get the same results, the resolution that you set up on the previous boot is not retained.