PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX 5.0.1CD OpenOffice License English Users HD Install

indigo
06-26-2006, 07:20 AM
KNOPPIX CD 5.0.1 has a minor problem regarding OpenOffice for English users. OOo will ask users to agree to the license at every startup. For CD users without persistent home, it's expected. For persistent home users and HD installations, it's annoying.

The cause is a pair of missing license files for en-US. OOo checks the date you last agreed to the license against the license file and if the license file is newer, it asks you to agree to the license. Apparently, OOo treats a missing license file as always newer than the last time the user agreed to the license.

Anyhow, the fix is very simple. HD Installs can Use File Manager in Super User Mode to copy the 'LICENSE_en-US' and 'LICENSE_en-US.html' from /opt/openoffice/licenses to /opt/openoffice/share/readme. KNOPPIX CD users can use Console (SU).

Hope this helps someone out there!

I love KNOPPIX. It's the most complete, functional, quick and easy to install distro. Thanks for all the great work on this project.

gryster
06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Indigo

Thank you so much!

Not only your expertise, but also your understandable description and your positive approach put you on a plane above my own.

Please don't take the rest of this post personally. Without my specific set of circumstantces, which would require too many words to describe, I wouldn't post.

Once upon a time, it wasn't "expected" that CD users would have to deal with the license screen upon each startup. Apparently it isn't required of Deutche users now.

Once upon a time, the HP printer drivers worked. They do now with some other current Knoppix-based Live CDs (Academia Prometeus).

Once upon a time, FileManager-Super-User-Mode on the English Knoppix CD would use the English language, not Deutch.

Certainly there are many concerns that vie for the time of a team that is now concerned with a DVD's-worth of programs. There are more pissy, technically-challenged English/US users than ever, complaining about each itty-bitty thing when an easy fix is just a command line away. What a huge hassle it all has become. There is no time to issue bug-fix releases that polish everything up.

However...

Gone are the days (since before the dcop issue) when I could "expect" to hand out a polished Knoppix CD at the office.

rholt
06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Indigo,

I was quickly getting tired of clicking on the buttons. :)

regards,
Richard.

remayo
07-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Tahnks! This was really helpful!