PDA

View Full Version : bootfrom=/ ... testcd

Albretch
06-27-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi,

After making sure the file signatures were OK, I am trying to test the knoppix CD version 5.0.1 via the cheat code:
bootfrom=/dev/hda3/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso testcd
I think it is actually testing the iso file itself which appears to be fine, but then my mouse does not work (keyboard does).
I see mesages looking like:
Starting init process
INIT: version 2.86 booting
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.12/modules.dep: No such file or directory
udevd[1204]: main: the kernel does not support inotify, udevd can't monitor configuration file changes
Started
Autoconfiguring files
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.12/modules.dep: No such file or directory
Why is it happening how can I fix these problems?
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
06-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Snce testcd is intended to test a CD, you're not doing yourself any favor here.

If you have a CD and want to test it, I suggest the testcd parameter without the bootfrom=iso stuff. If you want to test your ISO and not a burnt CD then read the downloading faq and learn to use one of the md5 checksum tools. An md5 file should have come does in the BitTorrent download (although BitTorrent is so reliable it's hardly needed), or can be downloaded from the mirrors. This will be better than the testcd check, and should be faster too.

By the way, testcd just does a bunch of md5 checks on parts of the ISO that are expected to be on the CD, but it can't do as complete of a check as checking the md5 sum of the entire ISO. And you avoid the extra overhead of trying to extract stuff from the ISO while running the tests.