PDA

View Full Version : Remastering: mkisofs problems. Knoppix CDROM suddenly starts

GermanJulian
06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi,
I followed the guide to the last step http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto and am currently making the iso image with the command:

mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX.net filesystem" -publisher "KNOPPIX www.knoppix.net" \
-hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX \
| nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

This works fine and I get that scrolling ahh stuff where it tells me which block its working on and what compression ratio is being archive. After about 8 minutes (block 12000 roughly) my cdrom drive with the KNOPPIX LIve CD spins up and starts working suddenly bringing the mkisofs process to its knees, the cd the spins down and after another 2 minutes starts up again and doesnt seem to stop. The mkisofs process come to a near halt :(

why does the cdrom spin up in the first place? Whats going on? Do I just let it happen and wait for hours till its finished?

Lukasz_P
06-27-2006, 03:46 PM
you may have less then 1000 megabytes of RAM; after you chroot and mount proc, type
free -m

show the result here

you can also check MD5 of the CD

GermanJulian
06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes fixed. I just realized that myself. I rebooted but did not create a swapfile again :)

did that now and now it works.

Thanks you!