PDA

View Full Version : Missing "beep" in bash in knoppix 3.8 to 5.0

arturoli
06-27-2006, 09:18 PM
I have just found that bash does not "beep" in Knoppix 3.8, 4.0 and 5.0

I have looked everywhere in the system (/etc/profile, /etc/initrc, ...) to find out why it does not beep, but I have not been very successful :(

Programs than rely on escape ANSI console codes for sound do not make any sound either, and this is the heart of my problem. I have a couple of computers running those programs with Knoppix 3.8 that will be very hard to reinstall now just for that, and the beep in such programs is very important because the users most of the time are not really looking at the screen, so the beep is very important to alert them in case of errors.

Any body knows a solution ?

Thank you.

crazy_monkey108
06-27-2006, 09:50 PM
i dont know if this would work or not but you might just be able to go to control center and go to sound and multimedia, and system notifications, and click the drow down arrow at top and choose konsole and maybe make the stuff in there make noises....

arturoli
06-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Thank you for your answer, but the installation is working in console mode, no X.

Anyway, the sound card works (mpg123 plays music in the PC speaker !!!) but just the beep or sound ANSI codes in bash, does not.

By the way, with knoppix 3.6 started from CD, it works, but I have not been able to find the differences between both versions.

crazy_monkey108
06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
have you tried running knoppix 3.8 from the live cd? it might just be the knoppix installation beacause it does have some bugs in it....if the knoppix 3.8 live cd works but it doesnt work when its installed on ur comp thats prolly the problem

arturoli
06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
It does not work either from the live CD. The same happens with Knoppix 4. I will try Knoppix 5 when I have downloaded it.