PDA

View Full Version : Searching for CD: then dropped in shell!

textriallaw
06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
I am trying to use Knoppix to access an old laptop drive that has Windows user accounts that are protected by Windows XP.

I burned my CD from an ISO download. It pops up fine, I hit enter it finds USB/firewire devices, enables DMA acceleration for hda and hdc. Then it says "Looking for CD in: /dev/hdc" for a long time.... it seems to freeze.

I get an error message: "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

I have a HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop. This is Knoppix 5.0.1.

Suggestions?

:oops:

Harry Kuhman
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
The most common source of this problem is a burn done at high speed. Other issues could include a media defect, or a hardware detection issue, the most likely one being the DMA setting. . So, if the burn was done at low speed, I would suggest trying the knoppix nodma cheat code.

textriallaw
06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Wen do i enter the cheat code? Wen the first screen pops up with prompt at "Knoppix: "? Or some other time? Sorry to sound like an idiot. I am.

textriallaw
06-28-2006, 12:12 AM
For the next idiot. On the first screen at "boot:" I typed "knoppix nodma" and hit return. It booted up fine. THANKS!!!

Tex

P.S. It was a fast 10x burn...

Harry Kuhman
06-28-2006, 12:54 AM
P.S. It was a fast 10x burn...
We see the most problems from the 48x or 52x CD burns, or any DVD burnt over 4x. But I would suggest the slowest speed that your burner will do or 4x, it's well worth the few extra minutes.

n00bster
07-05-2006, 09:36 AM
i am experiencing the same problem with my hp zv6000 laptop. it loads fine with failsafe but i have not been able to load my wireless card that way.. have you had the same problem? i am going to try the cheat and i hope it works [i believe my dvd was also burned at high speed] will post after trying the nodma cheat.

ZetronMan
07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Testriallaw,
I have the exact same computer, but I used the apsci=off (I think) cheat to get it to boot, and I am unable to use my built in wireless network, also I can't use a linksys card that I've put in. Does your network work? How did you get it to? If not, any ideas?

ZetronMan
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
One more not about the wireless on the dv5000, it has a button above the keyboard that enabled/disabled the card. When booted into windows media center, it has a blue indicator light that is on, indicating that the wlan is active. When booting into knoppix, I can't get that button to work, and that status light is always off. I don't know if this is strictly a windows function and means nothing in knoppix, or if it's some kind of hard break that needs to be turned on somehow.

n00bster
07-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I am having the exact same problem, my wireless button isn't working either and i cant get my wireless card to work on knoppix. the cheats NODMA and Faisafe load linux perfectly but i still cant use the internet and ive tried using netcardconfig and wlcardconfig to set it up but cant seem to do it right. can someone help? thanks.

scone
07-15-2006, 06:23 AM
had the same problem...

currently trying the slow burn (4x)

i burned (2 copies! rr i'm dumb) on my 52x (ultra speed! rawr!) lite-on

is there a reason (besides the obvious) why the fast burn doesnt work too well?

i haven't had any other problems (that i know of) from doing a fast burn.

is there an encoding change or something past a certain speed? or is it just less precise? (does knoppix need more precision)

this is a cool issue. i think

Harry Kuhman
07-15-2006, 06:58 AM
i haven't had any other problems (that i know of) from doing a fast burn.
(does knoppix need more precision)
I think the key here is that you don't have problems that you know of. There is an amazing amount of redundant error correction data on a CD (so much so that if you burn the disk in a mode that lets you store data rather than error correction information, you can get 800 megs on a 700 meg CD with no compression). Normally this error correction process can hide a poor burn from you, but at a cost - slower acces due to the need to do lots of error recovery.

I didn't want to believe that if I bought a brand name drive that said it could burn at 48x or 52x that burns at those speeds were not as good as lower speeds burns. It took me years to convince myself of it (and by that time I had a lot of discs that I sure wish I had burnt at lower speeds). And if you ever burn VCD or SVCD video discs this can really show up, since these use modes that indeed throw away the error correction to squeeze that extra 100 meg of information on a CD. The problem with doing this with a Video CD may seem minor, it might show up as an mpeg encoding error on playback, some oddly colored oversized pixels that suddenly show up on the screen, then are gone in a few frames when the next full frame of data comes up. But it can be annoying.

I don't know just why Knoppix has so much trouble with it. Maybe it needs parts of the system loaded before it can help with the error correction (I don't know how much is at the hardware level in the drive, but it seems from booting poorly burned copies of Knoppix that the hardware doesn't correct everything). And even when Knoppix can boot a poorly made disk, there can be speed problems that the user isn't even aware of becaise of massive error correction going on.

See these links if you want to see some more discusion in this forum about this issue if you think it's cool:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78583#78583
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17064

I now burn all of my CDs at 4x on systems that will do 4x, I settle for 8x on one burner/software combo where 4x is not offered. I burn all DVDs at 4x. This is not just Knoppix or bootable CDs, it is all discs; my data is too impotant to me use high speed burns. And if I'm going to allocate 100 megs of the disc for error correction information, I want that error correction to be available as the disc ages or if it gets a small scratch; I don't want to be using lots of it now and not have the safety of it later to fall back on when I go to read an older disc.

Zrebel
07-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Photochemical reactions mixed with digital devices might not be the best way to store and then use data.

n00bster
07-17-2006, 04:41 AM
Does anyone know why I cant get my wireless card and button on my laptop working in knoppix 5.01?

Harry Kuhman
07-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Does anyone know why I cant get my wireless card and button on my laptop working in knoppix 5.01?
Perhaps because you post your question in a thread on a different topic rather than starting a thread on that topic.

Perhaps because you want help, but you don't hive any information about your hardware.

Perhaps because you might be using version 5.0.1, which seems to have backpeddeled a lot in wireless support.

Perhaps because you hardware vendor has provided a special software/harware interface to process that button's input and enable or disable the wifi NIC, but only provided Windows drivers for it and given the Linux community no way to support it.