PDA

View Full Version : 5.0.1 Flash, HD and persistent disk image, Realtek driver

Zrebel
06-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Hello, I am using knoppix 5.0.1 on usb device and I ran into some problems that I will mention here.

First, I have a 10G quantum fireball HD that shows up as "Unknown (ext3)" when the configure persistent home scripts are run. I can create the image on the device but it is never loaded on startup. I used home=scan home=/dev/hdc1 home=/dev/hdc1/knoppix.img and nothing. I would like to inspect startup logs and look for errors but I don't know where they are. Someone said /var/log but these files are empty. Qtparted has no problems with this drive. edit myconfig option will load the home image file.

I play monopoly at games.com using flash 7 & Firefox, in 4.0.2 everything is fine but with 5.0.1 names on buttons don't appear and the popup info bubbles are realy small with nothing in them.

When I run the realtek audio install script , it tells me there are no sound cards after probing for them. I cannot find a compile error report, but the last error that flashed on the screen was 'failed' modules still loaded', then "No supported PnP or PCI cards found". I noticed it compiles alsa 1.0.9 and knoppix has 1.0.11, maybe I will try uninstall alsa first then run realtek install. edit: don't do this.

Aside from that I have run this version for about a week now and it has no other problems... i do notice the nvidia driver for my card was included, (my thanks to whoever does these things) in 4.0.2 the nvidia driver was conflicting with another program and the monitor suspend mode was being called even though the monitor was already suspended... I consider this thrashing my hardware and now I'm in the habit of pushing the power button instead. I will test this version after my next restart.

marx
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem with the home directory - and I have home image on a ide disk (/dev/hda3) with vfat filesystem.

home=scan will work but it does not work if I specify the partition...

did you solve your problem? I also don't know where to look (I looked at the boot up scripts, but I don't really understand all of what they are doing). If I have too much time (which isn't likely to happen) I'll add some debug output of my own... But I really hope somebody already found this problem and knows the cause...

Best Regards,
marx

malaire
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Zrebel,
WaKa suggested knoppix myconfig=/media/hda3 at
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24745

Zrebel
07-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes the myconfig=/media... option works, thank you. I agree with marx that the required interaction is not very good. I would like to change this but I can not find the code. And I am still looking for the log files. I tried booting with debug fromhd=/dev/sda4 but I received an error about knoppix image not found...

The sound quility coming from my computer is extremly poor... I wonder what happened from 4.0.2 to 5.0.1, I gained support for my vid card but lost support for sound card.

I burned a copy of 5.0.1 because my copy of 4.0.2... er, *cough* became wornout lets say. After booting off this new cd I noticed that I had the same slow initial boot as off usb stick (by initial boot I mean before Tux and usb scan) 4.0.2 started much quicker.

If anyone can help with my soundcard or flash... it would be appreciatied.

Zrebel
07-03-2006, 01:47 AM
humm, the audio problem was my fault... the color codes of my speakers don't match the plugs so the hw setup was out, sry.

flash is my last problem ;)