PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix HDD image on vfat partition booting problem

Pessoft
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
So, i try to boot Knoppix from image placed on FAT partition. I know that this can look crazy, but don't think about it, just take it as it is, i don't want change this for now.

During search for knoppix image, when boot scripts search for it, when it tries to mount my harddrive ( probably by mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /cdrom or something like that ) it outputs error :( :
FAT: codepage cp437 not found
:arrow: Is there any way how can i fix this / change codepage used / include support for this codepage :?:

Thank you for any suggestions and mind please, that i'd like to know how to mount vfat partitions during boot process, not how to boot knoppix from other source ( burn it on cd, install it on hdd, or so ) :wink: .

:!: Note: for booting i use loadlin with proper kernel, init ram disk.

Zrebel
07-03-2006, 06:16 PM
what version are you using? If you are just tring to use a partition instead of cdr (i.e. plain image) then you can have a look at my install method for a usb stick found here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24549&highlight=flash it is on a vfat partition and I have no errors on boot. since you are using loadlin then maybe you be booting from your windoz partition? you seem to be inventing your own install method... not sure if anyone help. especially if you don't describe your method which could be the source of your problem and not knoppix. You mention you are using the "proper" kernel, i use the one that comes with knoppix... if you insist on using your own compiled kernel then look here http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t4056.html and see if you compiled your kernel with vfat support.

Hope it helps.

Pessoft
07-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not using directly Knoppix, but its "derivate" Insert Linux from Inside-Security. Problem is that there is no support compiled for file system native language support NLS. I have investigated this and currently i'm not doing anything about it.

Next problem i have is that every time i use Loadlin.exe from config.sys menu it never succeeds to boot kernel correctly, only if i press F8 and select DOS safemode and run loadlin.exe manually. I am using config.sys format like:

[menu]
menuitem=windows
menuitem=linux

[windows]
device=...

[linux]
shell=c:\progra~1\loadlin.exe @c:\progra~1\loadlin\linux.cfg

Most of direct config.sys menu booting will result in error like this:

Unable to mount root to VFS 03:05
Also in the top of kernel output, at begging of booting is line

initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xfff4ffff > 0xfff40000)

Any suggestions?

Zrebel
07-05-2006, 04:09 PM
initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xfff4ffff > 0xfff40000)

I've heard that this could be caused by a bad memory value being reported by motherboard, the suggestion given is use mem=xxxM (where xxx=the amount of ram you have).

What does your linux.cfg file look like?

Pessoft
07-06-2006, 07:34 AM
My linux.cfg is nearly exact copy from isolinux.cfg of knoppix default boot.

Like this:

[linux.cfg]

c:\linux\boot\linux
ramdisk_size=100000
init=/etc/init
lang=us
apm=power-off
vga=791
initrd=c:\linux\boot\linux\minirt.gz
nomce
quiet
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
knoppix_dir=linux
desktop=fluxbox

i will try to pass mem value.

Zrebel
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM
humm, i read the loadlin docs... it seems root=/dev/hd? is used but it is not in your config file, give it a try aswell.