PDA

View Full Version : 5.0.1 Wireless Very Slow

greywolf19
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi ..
Got my Laptop [HP Presario ze2000] up and running under 5.0.1 and the broadcom card working using FWCutter finally ...
But now the problem seems to be that the wireless connection is only running at around 8-10 mbps rather than the usual 45-54 under Windows ??? .. Hence it takes almost forever to get anything done on the internet .. when I 'ping' the router it takes approz 30-40 ms to get an echo and even longer to get an echo from other systems on my network
The Router is a Dlink 524 and the Wireless card is the Broadcom 4318 ..
If I boot up in 4.02 and use Ndiswrapper to setup Wireless the speed seems to be in the normal 45-54 Mbps ...[ note: I could not get the Wireless to work in 5.0.1 using Ndiswrapper ]
Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Wolf

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
... But now the problem seems to be that the wireless connection is only running at around 8-10 mbps rather than the usual 45-54 under Windows ??? .. Hence it takes almost forever to get anything done on the internet ..
That's an interesting observation. It sounds like your connection is running at 802.11b speeds and not 802.11g speeds. I'm not real surprised about that since 802.11g is veryly poorly supported in Linux at the moment; I find it more interesting that Knoppix can support your 802.11g hardware at all. But I have to wonder what speed your internet connection is. My DSL connection is 1.5Mb/s. I do have a friend with 3Mb/s DSL and other friends with up to 5Mb/s cable. but in all of those cases I would expect the connection to the ISP to be the the botleneck, not an 11Mb/s conection.

greywolf19
06-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Harry ..
As always thanks for the quick response ... yes I would agree that it appears that in 5.0 it is working as a 'b' and not a 'g' BUT in 4.02 it runs like a 'G' !! ... by the way Hardwire out of the router is running at 100Mbps + so I dont think that is where the bottle neck is ..

some friends have suggested ...
1. alias net-pf-10 off and alias ipV6 off
or
2. # config_ieee80211_softmac is not set

But, it still seems strange that Ver 5 is forcing the chip into a 'b' mode ...
I have not tried the above suggestions ... [as yet] and I think I have to do some more looking around ... what do you think

rgds
wolf

Harry Kuhman
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
... by the way Hardwire out of the router is running at 100Mbps + so I dont think that is where the bottle neck is ..
I find it interesting that version 4 worked in G mode for you, but as you know I can't get 5 to work at all for me, even on "b" hardware that has worked since about 3.7. But as to the bottleneck, I'm not sure what you are saying. If your connection to the Internet is 100Mbs+ then the wireless would certainly be the bottleneck, particularly if it is running at 11Mbs. And I know 802.11b is a bottlenect here when I connect to other local computers (even more so since I deliberately limit it's speed further to try to get a better connection). But your post was talking about a connect to the Internet, not a local speed issue. I envy you your high speed pipe, if that's what you have.

... I have not tried the above suggestions ... [as yet] and I think I have to do some more looking around ... what do you think
Well, until I can get wireless working at all in Knoppix 5.0.1, I'm certainly not the one to give advice. And to be honest it's more of an academic issue to me than a pratical one; I didn't want to be limited by wireless speeds on my local network so I ran CAT5 to the room where I usually use my laptop. But so far no luck with Knoppix 5. I do wish someone who has had some luck with the 5.0.1 tools would post a detailed list of the steps that they ran through to get their system up (perhaps in the Wireless Networking section of the wiki) so that I could run it against the steps that I used on the new tool in 5.0.1 and see if I missed anything or did anything wrong, but I'm getting nowhere with this version of Knoppix on my equipment on my own.

greywolf19
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Harry ..

within the next day or so I will try to codify all the steps [and maybe missteps] I took to arrive at a slow but working v5.0.1 wireless setup .. by the way the other computers on my network [running windows] regularly get 54 Mbps .. The 100 Mbps is on my hard wired desk top.

rgds
bob