PDA

View Full Version : XP and Knoppix

induz
06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
i have one comp with Xp loaded on its HD. Ihave Live CD of Knoppix. now i want to install it on my HD.
What should i do to not mess up with XP.

drb
06-29-2006, 11:22 PM
My experience (very successful) with HD install has been with Kanotix (Kanotix-2006-Easter-RC4 is the latest downloadable version). The Kanotix forum is very good with an excellent manual to cover installation / set up.

Starting with XP on a HD, the most difficult thing will be partitioning part of the drive for linuz installation. I set up 4 partitions with one for /root (I've managed with 7GB - 10 better if you have room), one for /home (7GB - but more would give extra flexibility for large tmp files - separate home allows future distribution upgrades from CD without losing all your settings), one /swap (0.5GB with 1 GB installed) and one fat 32 partition for swapping files with XP. Once you get this far, the Kanotix installation GUI will set up a dual boot XP/Kanotix installation in about 10 minutes.

ruymbeke
06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
i have one comp with Xp loaded on its HD. Ihave Live CD of Knoppix. now i want to install it on my HD.
What should i do to not mess up with XP.
If you do not want to mess up with partitions, risk to screw up the the disk master boot record and the XP boot sector
please have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
My two cents,
Gilles