PDA

View Full Version : Can't see cdrom1

GottaBuild
06-30-2006, 04:37 AM
I am using Knoppix live CD with no hard drive, just a USB flash drive. The live CD is in one of two optical drives, and shows up on the desktop as cdrom.
If I click on the cdrom icon Konqueror opens up and I then see the contents of the live CD displayed. The second opitical drive appears on the desktop as cdrom1. However, when I click on the cdrom1 icon on the desktop I get the error message...

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist."

If I use the command line and try "sudo mount /mnt/cdrom1 -w" I get the error message "mount: can't find /mnt/cdrom1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab".

How do I get this cdrom1 mounted?

Thanks for any help!

malaire
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
You could try

mkdir /home/knoppix/cdrom1
sudo mount /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

And then check if you can see the CD at /home/knoppix/cdrom1 directory.
If not, do you get any error-messages from mount-command?

GottaBuild
07-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Mailaire. I tried your code, and I get the following 2 lines of message:

mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

malaire
07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Mailaire. I tried your code, and I get the following 2 lines of message:

mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
You could try this then. It specifies the filesystem type (iso9660 for CDs) and mounts the CD read-only.

mkdir /home/knoppix/cdrom1
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

After you stop using the CD, you should unmount it with

sudo umount /home/knoppix/cdrom1

GottaBuild
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I tried:

...and it mounts the crdom1 for ro access. But I need to write to this drive to use it for backups. When I try:

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o rw /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

...I still get the message "mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only".

I have a CD in the cdrom1 drive with a text file on it for testing purposes. WHen I check the properties using the K GUI I see that the permissions are grayed out and can't be accessed. For some reason Knoppix thinks this drive is a read-only device, but it is a tested and proven RW.

malaire
07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I tried:

...and it mounts the crdom1 for ro access. But I need to write to this drive to use it for backups. When I try:

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o rw /dev/cdrom1 /home/knoppix/cdrom1

...I still get the message "mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only".
I have a CD in the cdrom1 drive with a text file on it for testing purposes. WHen I check the properties using the K GUI I see that the permissions are grayed out and can't be accessed. For some reason Knoppix thinks this drive is a read-only device, but it is a tested and proven RW.

I think you can't mount CDs read-write in Linux. You need to use a cd-writing program (e.g. K3b or cdrecord) to write to CDs.
In Knoppix you should be able to start K3b from KMenu->Multimedia->K3b (CD & DVD Burning)