PDA

View Full Version : No connection to ADSL

gamanel
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I am new at Linux and downloded the knoppix 5 hopping to start my learning
Started OK but I cannot connect to the net
I also have a modem - router Arescom 1000 and I am the only one connected to the web.
Tryed everything with no results

So I went to the forums.

After I read what you are going thru I thing I better stay out of Linux

Thanks for helping me

Harry Kuhman
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Your post has been split into it's own thread, since you have different equipment than others and it is very likely a different problem.

After I read what you are going thru I thing I better stay out of Linux
That's your choice, but we have helped a lot of people here if they don't just give up before they make their post.

You say that you have a modem with a built in router. Good. The following querstions will help us help you.

What is your network interface card? You are connecting by ethernet and not usb, right? If you are connecting by usb, does the modem have an option to connect by ethernet? What do you get if you type ifconfig into a console window after Knoppix boots?

Has the moder/router been set up with your DSL user name and password? (In the thread where you tried to post this, this apparently was not being done.)

At a command prompt (console window) type sudo netcardconfig. Say yes to the question about DHCP. What happens?

What is the IP address of your router? Can you ping it at a command prompt? Can you open the router configuration screen by putting that address into a browser in Knoppix?

There are plenty more questions, but the answers to these will get us started in the right direction.

gamanel
07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
That's your choice, but we have helped a lot of people here if they don't just give up before they make their post.

I must bow and thank you for your kindness.

First let me list my equipment

Computer :
Operating system Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack del Sistema Operativo Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

M Board :
Processor Intel Celeron D, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Brand Name Intel La Crosse D865GLC (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
Memory 752 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS AMI (01/22/04)

Monitor :
Graphic Card Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB )
Acelerator 3D Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Monitor AOC Spectrum 5E(A)/5En(A)/5Elr(A) [15" CRT] (114573814)

Multimedia :
Tarjeta de sonido SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio (Intel D865GLC)

Almacenamiento :
Controlador IDE Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Controlador IDE Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Controlador SCSI/RAID A347SCSI SCSI Controller
Har disk ST3120022A (120 GB , 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Hard Disk ST3250824AS (232 GB , IDE)
CD/DVD AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
CD/DVD DVD-ROM
CD/DVD TDK DVDRW0404N
SMART OK

Network:
Card D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.C) (192.168.1.2)
Card WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (201.223.104.227)
Modem AOpen FM56-SM Soft PCI Modem
Modem GPRS via COM [/b]

What is your network interface card? You are connecting by ethernet and not usb, right? If you are connecting by usb, does the modem have an option to connect by ethernet? What do you get if you type ifconfig into a console window after Knoppix boots?

Yes the modem have an USB connection but I am using RJ-45.

I got two items, the first one is

eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.2
bcast 192.168.1.255
mask 255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST

RX Packets 5 Both packets have 0 errors
TX 12
interrupt 21

lo LOCAL LOOPBACK
inet addr 127.0.0.1
RX and TX packets, both 14, have no errors

Has the moder/router been set up with your DSL user name and password? (In the thread where you tried to post this, this apparently was not being done.)

As I said, this is a modem provided by the company I think is used as modem and I dont know if there is any configuration as router.

At a command prompt (console window) type sudo netcardconfig. Say yes to the question about DHCP. What happens?

SENDING BROADCAST DHCP FROM ETH0 OK

What is the IP address of your router? Can you ping it at a command prompt? Can you open the router configuration screen by putting that address into a browser in Knoppix?

I do not know

In order to log into internet I have a name and a password. I enter those values when I configure the ADSL connection in knoppix. After that I went to ping into some IP numbres and hang up.

The PLOG command tells me I do not have access, same with IFCONFIG PPP0

the PON DSL-PROVIDER says there is not access to a certain file.

Thanks for your help

Harry Kuhman
07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Network:
Yes the modem have an USB connection but I am using RJ-45.
Great. Use ethernet and stay away from the USB connection and I expect things will go very well.

eth0 inet addr 192.168.1.2
bcast 192.168.1.255
mask 255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST

RX Packets 5 Both packets have 0 errors
TX 12
interrupt 21l
THis is looking very good. In fact, I think you're working fine!

As I said, this is a modem provided by the company I think is used as modem and I dont know if there is any configuration as router.
In my experience there always is. When in Windows, try putting http://192.168.1.1 into a browser window and see for yourself. But we can skip past that for now. By the way, you mention using IE 6.x. This is straying off-topic a bit, but I just can't let that statement pass without warning you against using IE in Windows. Take a look at a free copy of Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) at the link I provided and I doubt if you will want to use IE any more.

SENDING BROADCAST DHCP FROM ETH0 OK
Again this looks real good. You don't even need to do this, since Knoppix does it for you automatically at boot time.

I do not know
From the information you gave above it is very likely that your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1, although it does not have to be and it might have been moved elsewhere in the 192.168.1.xxx range (192.168.1.254 would be my next guess). There are even utilities like nmap (http://www.insecure.org/nmap/) that can help you find it if it is hidden. But for now I'm going to assume it's 192.168.1.1

In order to log into internet I have a name and a password. I enter those values when I configure the ADSL connection in knoppix. After that I went to ping into some IP numbres and hang up.
And this is where I think your problem is starting. You should not have to use your user/password in Knoppix, and you should not have to run PPPoE software. You shouldn't have to run it in XP either. The router should be taking care of all of that for you.

Have you tried to access the Internet without doing any setup at all? Just put a URL in a browser address bar and see what happens. Also try to ping 192.168.1.1 and, when that works, try to ping 72.36.188.40 and if that works try to ping knoppix.net .

If your router is set up properly then everything is already working. If you can ping the router but can't ping the others then you may need to go into the router configuration by using a browser and the router address and entering the DSL username and account information there. Sometimes there is a login screen before they let you access this information. If so you will need to check the modem/router documentation for the default login name and/or password to get in, or if it has been changed by whoever set up the system find out what it has been changed to. But I'm actually hoping and expecting that you don't need to configure the router at all. (You want to be able to do this anyway, as it will be important to be able to permit the router to pass some incoming ports for some applications, such as BitTorrent and some on-line games).

gamanel
07-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks Harry,
I think the problem is the way knoppix handle the modem.
I have a program to check the modem and when starts its tells me that it found 2 IP and I must choose the one the router is.

The first one supposed be the router.
I select that and after a while the program tells me there is no router.

The other IP is the ISP, there is where I have to have the name and the password.

But for reasons that I dont know it does not go thru.

I think that's my problem,

Thanks anyway

PS I tried to ping that IP and nothing happen

Harry Kuhman
07-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I think the problem is the way knoppix handle the modem.

The first one supposed be the router.

No, the first one is the IP address that is assigned to your local computer on your NAT network (in this case the network is just the computer and the router). The router itself must be at a different address, most likely at 192.168.1.1 but as I said it could be elsewhere. As I said before, if you are not sure where it is then you could find it with nmap. nmap is on the Knoppix CD, but you could also download a copy for XP is you wanted. Under Knoppix do the following:

Open a terminal/console/command prompt window.

Type su to become root.

type nmap -v -sP 192.168.1.1-254

There are lots of different options for nmap but this should get you started and find the other IP address on the 192.168.1 sub-net.

The 201 address is indeed your public IP address. I don't know why you can see this from behind the router, as a router should hid this address from you. So this router certainly isn't behaving the way that most routers do. All the more reason to get documentation on the router and/or go into the router setup and see what you can find.

By the way, your public IP address is dynamic, your ISP can and does change it. You last post was from a diferent IP address, but your first two posts were indeed from the address that you listed above.

PS I tried to ping that IP and nothing happen
You have to ping the router IP, not the 192.168.1.2 address.

gamanel
07-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Open a terminal/console/command prompt window.

Type su to become root.

type nmap -v -sP 192.168.1.1-254

I got the following

192.168.1.1 APPEARS TO BE UP
MAC ADDRESS 00:05:D8:22:E5:17 (ARESCOM)

192.168.1.2 APPEARS TO BE UP

192.168.1.3 APPEARS TO BE UP
MAC ADDRESS 00:0A:E6:67:C1:CC ELITEGROUP COMPUTER SYSTEM (ECS)

The first one pings allright

Harry Kuhman
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
OK. We know from the ifconfig that 182.168.1.2 is your local computer. The router is 192.168.1.1 (the NIC information confirms this). I have no idea what the 192.168.1.3 address is and I would be pretty concerned about this until I found out. This modem/router doesn't have wireless capability, does it? If it does someone else may be hijacking your Internet connection (and they could have access to your own computer as well). If there is no wireless access that do you have any insight on what the 192..168.1.3 device is? You don't have a network printer or some other gizmo attached to the ethernet, do you?

So we are back to trying to see about configuring the router. Can you access a web page at http://192.168.1.1 ? If not how about http://192.168.1.1:8080 ? Do you have any documentation on how to access the setup of the router? If not, can you find any on the Internet, or get any from your ISP?

Harry Kuhman
07-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Network:
Card WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (201.223.104.227)
Modem AOpen FM56-SM Soft PCI Modem
Modem GPRS via COM
While trying to figure out what that 192.168.1.3 device is, I went back and looked at your network information again, and I have some questions.

The first line here makes perfect sense, it is a D-link NIC adapter. I'm not at all clear on why the second line is telling me. Are you saying that you have a second card in this computer? Just where did you get the information that you listed here?

I'm guessing that this second line is some output of Windows and does not represent a real physical interface card, it's just an abstraction created by running PPPoE software under WIndows. But again let me stress that with a properly setup router you don't need and don't want to run PPPoE software under Windows or Linux. I have as many as 6 systems connected to my router at any time, and none of them run PPPoE software. In fact, by exposing your system to a public IP address )201.xxx.xxx.xxx) you actually expose your system to a number of attacks and completely bypass the security provided by a NAT router if you do this. There are other good reasons for not running PPPoE too, from less overhead to faster access, and letting the router better do it's job. The router should be taking care of any needed PPPoE for you, not your local computer(s).

OK, the 3rd item seems to indicate that you have a "win-modem" in your computer. Fine that you have it although I expect that you don't use it much (except maybe for sending and receiving faxes) since you have a DSL connection. Knoppix does not support many soft modems, and while I have not tried to look it up I don't expect it will support this.

The 4th item is even stranger. It seems to indicate that you have some sort of radio packet system attached to your computer, either attached to com port 1 or attached with an interface that looks like a com port to the software. Just what is this? Are you sure that you are connecting to the Internet through your DSL modem at all and not through this? Is there really some physical device that attaches to a GPRS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS) system, and if so can you disconnect it? If you do, do you still get Internet access under Windows?

Harry Kuhman
07-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Eletegroup makes, or at least sells under their name, a wireless interface (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?CategoryID=6&TypeID=17&DetailID=486&MenuID=98&LanID=9). This gives me additional concern that someone may be accessing your router wirelessly. If true and without your knowledge then it is another reason why you need to access you router configuration and enable the strongest wireless encryption it supports, or disable the wireless side all together. Until you do this if someone is accessing your network wirelessly they not only could do things on the Internat like illegal downloads that could be tracked back to you, but they could also access the rest of your network and either take information from your system or spy on and capture your outbound internet traffic, including e-mail passwords, On-line banking information, catch credit card information if you make an on-line purchase and so on.

gamanel
07-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Let me see if I can explain and make sense.
The list on the computer is given to me by a sofwares called Everest and manufactured by Lavalis.
Looks like it mixes the hadware and the sofware.

When I runed the program I was connected to the internet so it may interpret it as

I detect a NIC
I detect a connection to a PPPoE software
I detect a modem with Internet access (I use it to connect to the phone and I did not know that could connect to the web is actually manufactured by ECS) and finally
I can see that there is a sofware contected to a COM port (Is actually my cel phone software that come with this feature)

About the IPs the first one is the Arescom modem the second it does not says any thing the nmap says it is there but do nothing and the third one is the phone modem.

As far as the router is concern. The ISP have it as a modem. Later I found out it is a router and can be operated as e modem but need a password and some special sofware.
The ISP is not interested in letting the users to play whit it and do not answer any questions.

If the program I have do not find a router it means there is not router and the Arescom in being used as a ASDL modem.
This the reason why I come to the conclusion that the problem stays in the behaviour of the modem with respect Knoppix

Do I make sense?

Harry Kuhman
07-04-2006, 02:55 AM
About the IPs the first one is the Arescom modem the second it does not says any thing the nmap says it is there but do nothing and the third one is the phone modem.

As far as the router is concern. The ISP have it as a modem. Later I found out it is a router and can be operated as e modem but need a password and some special sofware.
The ISP is not interested in letting the users to play whit it and do not answer any questions.

If the program I have do not find a router it means there is not router and the Arescom in being used as a ASDL modem.
This the reason why I come to the conclusion that the problem stays in the behaviour of the modem with respect Knoppix

Do I make sense?

This really does not make a lot of sense to me, for the following reasons:

You are getting a 192.168.1.2 address from somewhere. If you had only a modem and no router, or a modem/router combination where the router was disabled, then you would not get a 192.168.1.2 address. In fact you would get no DHCP handshake at all without running PPPoE software, and you clearly indicated that DHCP not only runs at boot time but if you open a console window and do the DHCP command.. Of course, clearly something is working a bit strange here since you also have another IP address, but I think this is comming from the PPPoE software. But I would want to know where that private NAT 192.168.1.2 address is coming from.

I don't know what you mean by e modem.

I'm not too concerned that nmap isn't identifying the 192.168.1.2 NIC. It is your local D-link NIC. Really. Trust me on this. nmap doesn't identify the local card on my system either, at least not when used in this way. That's not really what it's purpose is. I could show you some tricks to get the local NIC identified, but you have more pressing issues. If you choose not to believe me on this then you really shouldn't trust anything else I have to say either.

OK we know about the phone modem. Yes, there are dial-up Internet providers that could get you on the Internet, but this is much slower than DSL. Lets just know that this is there and why it is showing up, but for the most part ignore it.

I expected that your GPRS information was related to a cel provider, but I still don't know if you have any hardware attached to your system that might be involved. My suggestion is to look into this more and disconnect anything that you don't need. You certainly want to be sure that the system doesn't accidently connect to the Internet this way and run up cel charges while you also have DSL available. But I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it.

I still don't know if your modem/router has wireless capability, but none of the information that you just provided would explain that 192.168.1.3 address. That address pretty much has to be assinged by a NAT router and represents some device living on your local area network (the ethernet connection, as seen form this computer). You really need to say if the DSL device supports a wireless connection or not. And if it does you really really need to shut down that wireless access. I would try to get the information from the ISP. I would ask to talk to a supervisor if I couldn't get an answer from the first line support people. I would tell them of the concern of an unknown IP address on your local LAN and your concern that you need to configure your security.

If you absolutely can't get the information from the ISP, then I would try to track down information about that model DSL device on the Internet, both from the manufacturer and from third party sights. This is not just a Linux issue to know what is going on here; it is even more important to your Windows security to be able to figure out where that extra IP address is coming from.

If it somehow turned out that you really don't have a router, or the router in this DSL modem is disabled, them I would advise you to get an inexpensive external router and attach it to the ethernet between your comput and modem, letting it take care of the PPPoE for you and providing the security that you now lack. But, and I can't stress this too much, that 192.168.1.2 address has to be coming from somewhere and all of my network experience tells me it is coming from a local NAT router.

In addition to not responding about the wireless nature of your modem/router, you don't seem to be answering my repeated questions about trying to log into the router with a browser at http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1:8080. At the very least click here (http://192.168.1.1) and tell me what happens. I don't know why I can't get an answer to this.

There are some more technical things that you could do. Knoppix, for example, includes ethereal packet sniffing software. To learn a bit more you could watch eth0 with ethereal in permiscuious mode (you must first be root to do this) and then capture all traffic on the eth0 wire for a half hour or so. The switch built into the router will keep you from seeing most 192.168.1.3 traffic, but you should still see some ARP and other overhead packets. Any broadcast from the router about 192.168.1.3 or broadcast from 192.168.1.3 would confirm that this address is indeed living on your local Ethernet LAN and not due to the GPRS stuff on your system. Also, while running ethereal and capturing packets from the eth0 ethernet wire I would try to do a ping to 192.168.1.3 and see if you can't see the ping and the response packets. Of course, be warned that if this is someone hacking in (deliberately or accidently) and using your network, they may not always be there. If the 192.168.1.3 address seems to come and go this is further indication that it is an outside computer, it's going away is not a good sign, but you would have to see when it comes back in nmap and do this ethereal test then, not when the outside user has disconnected.