PDA

View Full Version : Booting from a USB key to a USB Hard drive - What the???

andrewbob
07-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Hello all,
Here is my problem. I have 2 different bits of USB storage media. 1, 256mb USB Memory Stick(key what ever you want to call it) 2, a 40gb USB hard drive. At school the BIOS is set up so that it will boot off a USB Memory Stick but it wont boot off my 40gb USB Hard Drive (its to do with the way the BIOS sees the devices, it sees the Hard Drive as a Hard Drive and then it requires manual configuration to set the boot prioty, which is pretty hard to do, when you have to hack into the BIOS settings.)
So this is what i want to do, have a copy of the Knoppix CD (the lastest version that i have is a slightly modded version of 3.8) on my USB hard drive then have some sort of boot loader installed on my USB Memory Stick. So that I can plug in my USB Memory Stick into a PC and it will boot off that, then with having my Hard Drivie pluged in I can tell the PC to boot from the files located on that.
I was thinking that a boot loader that could emualate a CD from a directory or something like that might work?

I'm sure that there are many ways to do it, i just hope that someone can explain to me 1.

Thanks
--
Andrew Bob

rusty
07-04-2006, 02:29 PM
See if you can hack something together from this http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Boot_Floppy_HowTo.