PDA

View Full Version : No bootup after running Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD

Merv02
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Hi

My 5.0.1 CD version runs fine and a reboot back into XP Home afterwards has no problems. But after using my 5.0.1 DVD version a few times, the system would not post. Sheer terror - as I'm in the middle of a huge video editing project in XP with Avid Liquid Edition. Fortunately after turning off the power supply switch at rear of case and leaving powered off for 20 minutes, after powering up the system booted normally again. I was very much enjoying my look into the Linux world and plan to one day dual boot into Linux, but at the present with my system needed so critically in XP mode, I cannot afford the chance of a dead system. I suspect the 5.0.1 DVD may have clobbered something in the motherboard, which would explain why it reset OK after a complete power down.

So until I've completed some critical work in XP in about 2 months, unfortunately I'm just not game to risk a dead system and will have to leave 5.0.1 DVD collecting dust on the shelf. Has anybody had any similar experience with a system not booting after using the DVD? Thanks for any assistance.

XP Home SP1 (NTFS)
Asus P5P800
Prescott 550J 3.4Ghz with Titan Vanessa 120mm fan h/s cooler (runs very cool)
Corsair Twin X Pro 2GB
ATI Radeon X850 256MB
Pioneer 106 DVD burner
3 IDE drives WD 8MB cache
Antec TruePower 550 Watts
Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro