PDA

View Full Version : Please help a complete newbie booting off a DVD =(

matt topo
07-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Sorry guys not only am I new to linux, I've never booted from a DVD before. I downloaded Knoppix V5.0 from the BitTorrent site and burned it to a DVD via Nero. I tried to burn it as an ISo, but it gave me an error saying it cannot burn ISO's over 2 gigs? It told me to burn it as a UDF which is what I did. I then rebooted, entered Bios, and changed the order to boot from CD-Rom before HDD (with the DVD in the drive) but thennothing happened, and Windows loaded as usual. Can someone help me out with this? I've tried reading through the FAQ but don't know exactly what I should be looking for :?

Thank you.

matt topo
07-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Errr, after reading a few threads I tried burning the DVD at a slower speed, and everything seems to work :oops:

ckamin
07-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I tried to burn it as an ISo, but it gave me an error saying it cannot burn ISO's over 2 gigs? It told me to burn it as a UDF which is what I did.

That error message would mean that you tried to burn the "file" to the DVD as a data disk. You would need to "open" the ISO to burn the DVD image to disk. The information is found here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ Be sure to pay careful attention to topic #8. Speed is also another issue. Many disks that are burned at high speeds do not work in all cases.

Anyway, glad to see you have it resolved.