View Full Version : Hybrid HD install wanted

udippel
07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Hybrid:
It seems I can principally
1. install Knoppix as is to harddisk
2. install as Debian, with users and stuff

What I'd like to do is a hybrid:
1. install Knoppix to harddisk (USB) as Knoppix; that is with full Knoppix hardware recognition
2. which boots to a Debian- or Debian-like setup; that is: with users and stuff

Reason:
I find it even more intriguing to plug a USB harddisk to almost any machine and boot:
1. with full Knoppix hardware recognition and setup
2. running a system with users

So, instead of carrying about my notebook, I just carry the harddisk. And I have a tailored install, setup, you-name-it compared with a generic Knoppix install.
But then I need full hardware detection; X configuration *and* users; a /home/ that is mounted.
I am aware of persitent /home/; yes; but that's not what I want: no users, no logon-screen, no apt-get, no Debian !

Any chance ? Any hint ?

Thanks,

Uwe

Harry Kuhman
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
For a start, try looking at DSL (Damn Small Linux) and it's USB device install option. I think it does what you are looking for, but I've found that many computers that say they support USB booting don't quite boot it. If you can boot DSL then you might want to just stick with that, or you might be able to apply what you learn there to a Knoppix install in the same style. I can't offer more, as I've never got a USB boot to work on my system. And I think I have seen some discussion of Knoppix style installs to USB devices in these forums, but I can't give you a link, you'll just have to search for then if you want them.

udippel
07-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Thanks, Harry.
Was I not clear ? Did I fail to bring it to the point ?
Whatever .... .
Yes, I used DSL. Yes, I did a few Knoppix-USB-installs. Yes, they boot for me on various machines.
My latest efforts used 5.0.1, and I installed directly to /dev/sda (that is: USB harddisk), and everything went smoothly; reboot; without any further action at all.

Once again: I manage to get the Knoppix to USB, boot. Either the Knoppix that is on the CD, or a Debian-Knoppix with users, but less of hardware detection. For example X: Somehow the Debian-Knoppix has written the xorg.conf, and when I plug the USB harddisk to another machine, X won't start.

Question to the experts: Is it possible to kind of two-step the boot process ? Is it possible to bootstrap the Debian-install with a native Knoppix boot ? Where the native boot detects hardware, creates conf files and writes those to the Debian-install to be used ?

Thanks, and sorry for my unclear wording.

ethyr2000
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I would like to have a hd install on my CF flash ( attached by IDE-CF adapter). But due to the number of limited writes on a CF card, I would like to use unionfs to aleaviate the wear and tear on the CF card.

Does the HD install still possess unionfs in the kernel modules?

I want to still use the root path as read-only and tmpfs for read-write .. like live cds. However, I would like to merge the tmpfs into the compact flash root path on shutdown... or as a maintainance procedure of system resources need freed up.

Any advice insights and experience in using knoppix (or another) distribution in this way is greatly appreciated.

Rick