PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sound

back_analys
07-09-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm have Knoppix 3.7
When i boot from cd the sound card(integrated i810) determine and work correctly, but with installed system on hdd i't determines, but no work...
Chipset - SiS611FX, Sound Chipset - Intel i810

Help Me!

ckamin
07-09-2006, 07:59 AM
but with installed system on hdd i't determines, but no work...

Knoppix versions prior to Version 5.0.1 were not intended for HDD installation. The key word here is "installed". Numerous issues present themselves when someone ignores the advice given in this forum. It is not impossible to install, just not recommended for the very resons you and others have posted looking for help after the fact. Other than running "alsaconf" as root to detect and setup your sound device, I would have no further advice. The i810 is actually a graphics adaptor and not really your sound device. Many people with little or no knowledge of Linux just go ahead and install Knoppix without understanding the consequences. I would also verify that your network is working properly also.

I would strongly recommend installing something like Debian that IS intended for HDD installation, or one of the other excellent distros intended for installation also. Knoppix is based on Debian, so if you like the look and feel of it, Debian would be a good choice for a start. THAT would be my best advice to you.

fingers99
07-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Running alsaconf (as root, natch) will probably sort it. If not, come back, post error messages, etc.

You can also try running Kmix and whacking the volume up.

Strangely, many of us who have been buggering about with computers for the odd decade or so have been cheerfully installing Knoppix to HD and getting away with it without feeling it necessary to insult others.

While I'd now advise anyone wanting to install to HD from a live CD to use Kanotix rather than Knoppix, you'll probably learn more from trying to get the sound running.

moblicense
07-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I am new to knoppix (and linux), when I boot 5.0 on a duel boot system my sound works fine, but I deleted my windows partition and now no sound. i tried the sndconfig but it says that the kernel must have the modeler from 2.2. please help

ckamin
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
moblicense:

See the above posts concerning running "alsaconf" as root. Let it detect and configure your sound device. That would be the first choice. Sndconfig usually does not work for me.

fingers99:

I'm not being rude, just realistic and truthful. I offered "sound" advice for the issue at hand and did not "refuse" to help, no "pun" intended. I also explained why the poster may be encountering issues with a HDD install of Knoppix. I also gave solid advice on how/why to choose a distro intended for the purpose of HDD install. The truth is simple. Inexperienced people ignore the advice and then wonder why it is that some things simply do not work, or not work the same as they did in the live disk. You, yourself admitted the best advice to a new user would be to recommend a distro more friendly for a HDD install. A more experienced person can do as they please, but someone at the beginner level will usually encounter a very steep learning curve when trying to do something that a distro was not really intended to do. There is usually a choice: Live disk or Install Disk. Some do both. Knoppix was not originally designed or intended for both, unless I have missed something here. Simple truth, and just the facts. If 5.0.1 was installed, it might be a different story, but the version mentioned was 3.7. Even 5.0.1 appears to sometimes have issues on a hdd install. I will stand by my logic: Do not install a distro to HDD that was not intended to be installed, if you are a beginner. You will probably have much less frustration and troubles with a distro intended for installation in the first place. Nowhere did I say "Not" to or that it can't be done, just that it is not recommended. You can drive your car into a concrete wall at 100MPH. It will do it, but it is not recommended either. One should read the posts in this forum before the install, so they would be prepared to fix the common issues that keep coming up. I'm sure that this is not the first time this question was asked, because I have answered it before, recently. For those beginners intending to "install" Knoppix prior to V5.0.1, put on your seatbelts! At least do some homework about what to expect.

I personally have installed Knoppix to the HDD. I encountered issues and solved them. I have more than a month's worth of experience with Linux/Unix type environments. I understood the most of the issues BEFORE doing so. I'm certainly not the Uber expert, but can find my way around it. I would have had trouble if I had no prior Linux experience. This Forum has evolved since my first try at it AND there ARE answers to many frequently asked questions, if one were to look for them. The best advice is simple, install a distro intended for HDD install, or at least understand that there may be issues with the install, if you choose to ignore the advice and install Knoppix anyway.

moblicense
07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
thanks for the help. Just to point out that i wouldn't be a newbie if I knew what to expect when installing a new OS. I did my research and tried the live cd, but oh the irony of life.... well live and learn.

moblicense
07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
'alsaconf' won't do the job either. Is there a way to use the windows driver (from cd or internet) to configure the sound card. I guess it might be that knoppix doesn't support the card... does anyone know, I believe it is an amc97 codec...

Zrebel
07-13-2006, 04:02 AM
...but I deleted my windows partition...

Deleting your windows installation had nothing to do with your sound problem, but it did increase the performace of your computer

8)