PDA

View Full Version : Wireless USB almost works

psi_chemie
07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Greetings! I have been using Knoppix for a while now. Recently as a challenge, I had my cable de-activated. I got a wireless USB device and wanted to see if I could log on to some signal. I live in a location where there are multiple public and private signals, some are open, such as cafes, motels, etc.

This is for a desktop, not a laptop.

Anyways, I got the device to work. I can control it, scan for and connect to signals. I see lights flashing on the device indicating data flow.

However I can't ping and the web browsers that come with Knoppix that automatically worked with cable do not work with the wireless USB device.

I'll log on with more detailed information tomorrow, but if anyone knows the setting I have wrong please reply! Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
You are wasting your time and ours if you don't even post what the device is. But be warned, wireless support in Knoppix is weak, USB wireless even more so (although I don't believe there should be any, see answer #9 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) on that and look at 3 while you are at it.). And Knoppix 5.0.1 has some other wireless networking issues; I could get wireless networking with one NIC working in some previous Knoppix versions, and can get the same card and a couple of others working in other Live CDs, but I can't get Knoppix 5.0.1 to connect for me at all.

psi_chemie
07-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I came to work and the stuff is at home. I'll get the details tomorrow.

psi_chemie
07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
OK Anyone.. I'm using Knoppix 4. I have the onboard ethernet disabled, so no eth0.

The device is a USB Wireless G adapter made by Add Logix. It came with linux source. After make/installing, I got a driver rt2570.ko which I installed. Then I bring up the device with ifconfig. Then I run the program that came with the adapter, with which I can succesfully connect to a signal.

Once I am connected, I try to run pump but this always fails.

I notice in the readme files that came with the adapter, instead of pump they are using dhcpcd. I'm going to try that today when I get home.

Here's a summary of what I've been trying:

1- insmod rt2570.ko (installing driver)
2- ifconfig rausb0 up (bringing up device)
3- ifconfig (checking that it is up)

At this point, ifconfig shows me that the device is up, but has not been given any IP information.

4- ./RaConfig2500 (loading device program)

I can usually connect to a good signal with this program.

5- I try pinging something or opening something in Firefox and Konquorer. Nothing.

6- I try running pump -i rausb0 -h whatever, ....Operation Fails.

This is what I'm talking about in the readme- it says dhcpcd instead of pump. Could this be the problem? Also am I missing out on some fundamentals of wireless here?

I notice that iwconfig shows the device is assigned the SSID of the connection I've established with RaConfig2500.

I have a feeling that it might not be compatible with pump.

Also, I am wondering if that matters.

Also also, I am wondering if I need to do something more at boot time?

It seems so close to working.