PDA

View Full Version : No internet connection w/atheros wireless

wicky615
07-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I just grabbed a copy of linux, but I've never used wireless with it before, and I really want to install it permanently on my laptop (or just be able to use it when windows gets annoying =) )

The only problem I'm having is that when I try to connect using kwifi, it finds the adapter, finds my wireless network, but I'm not getting an IP adress assigned to me for some reason. Local IP as shown in kwifi is "unavailable". Is there somthing else I should be doing? please help >.<

Harry Kuhman
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Wireless support has never been great in Knoppix, and even some NICs that did work in 4.2 seems to not be working for many in 5.0.1. In addition there are many problems installing Knoppix to hard disk, one of them frequently being networking. I would advise you that there is no good reason at all to install Knoppix and that if you want a copy of Linux installed to hard disk, use one of the distros that is intended for hard disk install. For many users, particularly those who like Knoppix, Debian is a good choice, since Knoppix is actually based on Debian and you can install of all the apts included with Knoppix (and many many more) into Debian quickly and easily. This is not a ststement that Deian or any other Linux distro is the best, I'm just suggesting that you may find it a good place to start. Indeed, some other distros that get updated more frequently might have better support for your network card. But Knoppix will not have better support than Debian.

Some also suggesting installining Kanotix rather than Knoppix. While I agree completely that Kanotix addresses some of the problems that are known to exist with a Knoppix "install", I have never heard any good argument for install Katonix over Debian itself and then installing exactly the software that you want.

psi_chemie
07-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I had almost exactly the same problem with my wireless USB adapter. I got everything working and can connect to a signal fine, but no IPness for my dhcp. And so no programs could use the network. Oh well. I gave up, and am going back to cable modem and wired ethernet, which I really didn't have any complaints with anyways (other than paying for it)

wicky615
07-17-2006, 12:12 AM
I went to go try debian, so I downloaded and burned a debian install CD.

The installation began, and crashed at 92%, "Starting PC Card services" or somthing similar.

I have a toshiba satellite a105-s1014

I really like debian, and I've used it before on an older computer, so I want to get it installed on my laptop.

Someone help T.T

Zrebel
07-23-2006, 04:41 AM
The installation began, and crashed at 92%, "Starting PC Card services" or somthing similar.

I really like debian

You haven't booted it yet.

gee, i had a look at
http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/Support.htm and it is no longer tech friendly, sorry. Maybe they want you to contact them yourself... wrong direction if you ask me.