PDA

View Full Version : kwifimanager in 5.01 - can't select eth0 instead of eth2

maestrobwh1
07-13-2006, 03:02 AM
My netgear MA 401 wireless card works flawlessly and very fast with knoppix 4.02. 4.02 ingnores my internal broadcom adapter in my acer aspire. Fine with me. I would continue to use 4.02, but it does not recognize my battery status and knoppix 5.01 does. If there is an application that exits to monitor the battery in 4.02, I guess I would settle for that rather than the help I request below. My acer does not have an external monitor so if the battery gets low, the computer just craps out with no warning.

Knoppix 5.01 recognizes my internal braodcom wireless device in my Acer aspire but does not seem to configure properly. When I boot with my MA 401 card, I can use netcardconfig with eth0 and everything seems to go well, including DCHP recognizing a connection and giving some feedback regarding the connection before the shell closes. However, despite my best efforts to use the configuration editor in kwifimanager to change the automatic interface detection so that it ignores the non-working broadcom as eth2 and go to my working MA 401 with eth0 as the interface, the toolbar for kwifi still says eth 2 and nothing happens. If I close kwifi and reopen it, it does read eth0 in the configuration editor, but the toolbar still says eth2 and does not light up. FYI eth1 is my internal wired interface.

Oddly, with the internal broadcom, it does show a short red line for signal in kwifi, but that is about it. With netcardconfig and this device, it mentions something about some file not being found and bails. Bootup lines do recognize eth0, eth1, eth2 (with the MA 401 installed, otherwise I get eth0 and eth 1 for the internal wireless and wired devices)

I am fairly "new" to using wireless with knoppix so any specific lines I can type into konsole to either disable the broadcom and use the ma 401, or get the broadcom adapter working... that would be great... I really don't know much about the command lines to figure this out on my own.